Turkey male or female?

I am in the same boat.I am almost positive we have the same breed and I Have a pair two.Their about the same age and constantly strut,escpecially when approaching them.One fans it’s tail out Whne it is an alert mode and running,Heard that hens usually do that.The one I think is a male doesn’t fan it’s tail and has lots ornate growth on his neck and face.

I am in the same boat.I am almost positive we have the same breed and I Have a pair two.Their about the same age and constantly strut,escpecially when approaching them.One fans it’s tail out Whne it is an alert mode and running,Heard that hens usually do that.The one I think is a male doesn’t fan it’s tail and has lots ornate growth on his neck and face.
If you're are both displaying at a young age they are both toms. Young females do not display. Occasionally a dominant mature hen will display, especially during a fight with another hen or to show her dominance. Young female poults don't.

Ok thanks,guess I’ll just sell one and get a hen,should I wait to be sure?
You can if you want. I have never seen a hen under a year display. I have seen my young toms start as young as 6 weeks. If they are both strongly full on displaying they are toms. You can wait until 3-4 months when they start to develop a bigger snod, and probably start to gobble. Do they gobble too already? That would confirm it too as hens don't gobble. I often make gobbling noises to get those first goobles going out of the boys.

So I most likely have two males.
I can't tell for sure by your video. They look pretty young there. I will stick with my original statement that if they are both displaying they are toms. You can tell for sure generally by 4 months. You could post pictures in the turkey forums and see what they say.

Back
Top Bottom