Turkey nest??

TomTurk32

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 7, 2011
I was wondering if needed to build a box for my hen to nest in to lay eggs in whenever she does. I'm new to these and was just wondering if they are gonna act like chickens.lol

You can. However, unless you keep them penned up in the area where you've constructed the nesting boxes YOU want them to use, there is a high probability that the hen(s) will `know better' and find a particularly dangerous spots outside of the `security perimeter'.
We have always moved the eggs from unsanctioned nests (tear apart and cover) back into the rear corners of their shed (tried `boxes' but they'd they' move eggs out into the corners of the shed). They catch on after being moved consistently (adult hen then instructs jenny and so on).
They are seasonal layers.

Last edited:
They tend to lay where they want. I have had luck just making large covered boxes and sticking them in the corners of the coop. Although i have had a few that would lay in chicken boxes. It seems to me like it is easier to see where they r going to lay then building around them, if they r still in ur run or coop, if not its just a pain to teach them where they need to lay but it can be done. I always just keep mine penned at the start of the laying season that way they will be forced to lay in the run or the coop, then they seem to get the idea and always lay there.

I put an old dog house we don't use anymore into the turkey pen. My mom put a 30 gal plastic tote in there for the chicken to lay in and my BR hens squeeze in there and lay. I just started a nest in the dog house and they all started laying in there till they had thirteen and 1 of em started sitting on it (bators full).

Back
Top Bottom