Turkey not acting the same...

Chatychick

Songster
12 Years
Jul 9, 2007
Blue Mound, Kansas
I have a turkey hen that isnt acting like she usually does. She is having a hard time walking and keeping her balance. The other hen that is in there is being mean to her too. I dont understand it as she has been fine up untill today when I noticed her in the coop laying on her side. Her nasel passages are clear and no other problems that I can see just now. Any ideas what it might be? It has been really cold and snowy here lately and so been taking water out to them alot. Any help is appreciated...

Is she a meat bird, But I ad a hen the desided that she wanted to be an outcast and lived her life on the out scurts of the flock. but i really hope your girl starts feeling better

I had the same thing happen to my chicken - walking funny and not peckng around like the others. I carried her in and out of the coop for a few weeks and kept her with the rest. One morning I came down to the coop and my biggest rooster was stomping on her back trying to kill her or something. I took great care of her all week but she eventually died. I would try separating her from the rest until she gets better. I think maybe birds kill the weak instinctually so if she got better then they will treat her the same.

Yes, seperate her from the other hen if all possible. Have you tried to stand her up? Does she then walk in circles before collapsing or simply flop over on her side? Besides preventing attempted `culling' of the weak by her coop mate, seperating her will allow you to assess whether she's eating/drinking (they sink fast without fluid intake). Hoping for the best. Let us know how it's going.

Good luck!

P.S.: you might want to post again over in EMERGENCIES

Back
Top Bottom