turkey not eating

she is in a smaller coop than before could that be the reason? she will nibble food from my hand. she is also listless. she sits on her roost and closes her eyes. help me please
Are you saying that you have a lone turkey shut up in a small coop by itself and you are wondering why it is suffering from depression?

Turkeys are very social birds. They also need lots of room. They can die from depression.

its 10 x10 x 5 foot high. we have had her for 3 days she will be allowed to free range when would be enough time to let her wander.? she was raised as a pet and there were no other birds of any kind. i talk to her several times a day and she will take food from my hand. yes she does seem sad, but what can i do? the woman who had her had a stroke and i ended up with her. i have 12 hens but she just ignores them when they come up to her coop any ideas would be greatly needed thanks

its 10 x10 x 5 foot high. we have had her for 3 days she will be allowed to free range when would be enough time to let her wander.? she was raised as a pet and there were no other birds of any kind. i talk to her several times a day and she will take food from my hand. yes she does seem sad, but what can i do? the woman who had her had a stroke and i ended up with her. i have 12 hens but she just ignores them when they come up to her coop any ideas would be greatly needed thanks
The best that you can do for her is to try to find another turkey for a companion along with making sure she gets plenty of daylight. Sunshine is one of the best remedies for depression. Being with other turkeys would be even better.

Perhaps you could try rehoming her to a place that has more turkeys.

This is a sad story. More then likely she has depression from losing her human. If she was healthy before she lost her human. It might be to late to heal her broken đź’”. Have you tried getting a big mirror so she can she her self? Seeing another of her kind might help her. Getting another turkey hen might help but there is a good chance it will not because it's not her human. Turkeys are no different than dogs. They grow to love and cherish their human. The more freedom she gets the happier she while become. She can stay out as long as your chickens do in time. She needs time to get use to her new home.

Back
Top Bottom