Turkey Owners... Is this normal????

WindyOaksYokes

Songster
12 Years
Jul 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Here we go with the turkey issues again. I have one that has the runs... oh my he is making a huge mess. Is this normal? I have never seen them poop this much and this runny. I have a feeling someone is going to ask... so .... the color is a dark green. He seems to be doing just fine... his normal self except for that.

Any ideas?

Hmmmm, normal? I dont think so. Is he eating enough? Have there been any changes? Like moveing them, or moving someone else in or close to them? Sometimes stress will cause runny poo...but the green...I think is from not getting enough to eat. Have you seen him eat? Hopefully someone will come along that knows more than I do, and can help you.

Sounds like a sudden change in diet. Anything different there? Do your turkeys free range? If so, dark green poop is not all that unusual from eating natural greens. It is the consistency I would be concerned with. What are the temps there? If they're drinking a lot, that may explain excess moisture in the bowel movements. Keep us posted on any other thoughts that may be helpful.

Jody

Sounds like a sudden change in diet. Anything different there? Do your turkeys free range? If so, dark green poop is not all that unusual from eating natural greens. It is the consistency I would be concerned with. What are the temps there? If they're drinking a lot, that may explain excess moisture in the bowel movements. Keep us posted on any other thoughts that may be helpful.

No difference in diet... same ole same ole and they freerange 24/7
Temps for the past few days has been 90+ going to start dropping tomorrow accoding to the news. They have been drinking a lot.... and also eating alot... seems wierd that they are eating more in this heat. I could understand if it was the one that broke his nail... but its not Tommy... its the other one Stud... I am supposed to pick up a couple ducks on thursday... other then that not difference... I did build an add on to the coop/run...

Hmmmm, normal? I dont think so. Is he eating enough? Have there been any changes? Like moveing them, or moving someone else in or close to them? Sometimes stress will cause runny poo...but the green...I think is from not getting enough to eat. Have you seen him eat? Hopefully someone will come along that knows more than I do, and can help you.

Yes, I have watched him eat... Wait a minute.... they got ahold of some potato salad... LOL...omgoodness.... could that cause it???? Just now thought of that.
he.gif

the potatoe salad might have caused the runny poo. Maybe the mayo/salad dressing. No biggie im sure. With free rangers, they get into so many different things....everything seems yummy for them! LOL Im sure he will be back to normal soon. Just keep an eye on him.

I am reading everything about Turkey "poo" I have 1 turkey girl and she is always with my chickens and feed them all the same stuff- Is that good ? What do you feed a turkey?

Babygirl - Yes it is fine to feed them the same as the chickens. Infact all of mine eat the same stuff, plus they also free range. Mine all eat Dumor layer feed and chicken scratch... plus all the bugs, greens, and leftovers that they can get ahold of LOL.

Justusnak - Yes, they do get into everything and eat everything. He seems to be doing okay today... no more big messes!!! I think the potato salad is what got to him LOL... poor guy!!!

Back
Top Bottom