Turkey Pens?

C&Rman

Songster
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Nevada
I want to build a pen that could house my 3 turkeys. They are rather Bronze Breasted or a Rio Grand type. I have Peafowl but I was told not to house them with eachother. ANy one have any pics or dimensions? Thanks

i had a peacock in with my turkeys once, my two breeder hens HATED HATED HATED that peacock, they'd chase it until it flew up into the hay loft. as far as a turkey pen, id go no smaller than a 10x12.

I built a brooder/winter-adult house. The inside part is 4X6 with a 4X8 attached screen porch. The floor is about 3 ft off the ground so its easy to clean. I don't bother putting the adults in in winter anymore because they always stayed outside anyway, even at -35F. If I was making something just for adults, I wouldn't bother with the indoor part at all. I would make 6X8 screen porch, with two solid walls and half solid roof.

My feeder is built in so I can add food from the outside.

my narragannsetts and palms and eastern/bronze cross can fly quite well. If i forget to open the barn they will roost in the trees outside. Do they need that much space, no, but i would think it would be nice to allow them to move around a bit. Turkeys do not need a nest box, nor do they "need" a roost. but the perfer to sleep off the ground.

Turkeys like space I have 10X20 and 10X30 pens for mine the big pen has 10 in it and the others have 4 to 8 in them they have roosts they are netted to keep them in and they use my "nest box" which is a vinyl dog house. I raise the poults in 12X12 stalls not planning on keeping any replacements this year....and I plan on putting up a fattening pen to finish out my eating turkeys. I'm considering making a pen up to let my jennies raise up their own poults. I had to make up pens because mine kept flying around they came home but I didn't want them finding anyone's garden so my 1/2 acre had to get broken up into pens.....

start with what's easiest to build..I bought dog kennels and mine share the 10ft side easier to block the view of another tom if I need to and very easy to add on to. They really enjoy roosting as high as possible and outside where they can see mine very seldom use the inside roosts they roost outside in the rain even.....

Back
Top Bottom