Turkey poult has a bobble head?!

ray2310

Songster
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Smithfield, PA
One of our Bourbon Red Turkey Poults looks like he's a bobble head turkey! Eating, Drinking, everything is fine... it just bobbles its head, worse when it had it's head down (pecking at the ground or feed) then stands up straight.

We named it "Jiggy" simply the cutest little turkey. He has done this since he hatched (in the incubator) No head trauma. None of the turkeys have the bobble head... Jiggy is bold and not afraid of anything, as you can see in the video!

anyone with a similar turkey experience? any suggestions??

almost looks like a vision issue.... He also looks like he's trying to get food from the other birds, is he getting enough food on his own?

check his ears, i had a chick with something similar last year, turned out to have a tiny piece of wood shaving in its ear :) its worth a try :)

Jiggy eats and drinks really well, (I sneak around to watch him) so I don't think he's hungry. He seems to be "bobbling" a little more and walking a little more dizzy, almost in circles. Other than his constant head bobble, he's doing really well, same as the other turkeys. I'll check his ears.. this behavior started while still in the incubator - no other poults or chicks are acting strange.

I can't see anything in his tiny ears - I looked the very best I could - clear ear holes.

So I'm guessing I need to try something... any suggestions??
Antibiotics? Vitamins?

Are you using a medicated chick starter? If so, your already giving him antibiotics. Its never a bad idea to give vitamins. You might also want to pick up electrolytes from the chicken isle at the feed store.

Just my 2 cents.

Riki

Any updates on this turkey? I'm new to turkeys but I got one doing the same thing. Bobbing head and kinda going in circle. If u got any advice I could really use the help. Also advice on caring for turkeys would help me a ton lol. They threw this lil one in as a freebie because of the head bob

Back
Top Bottom