Turkey poult occasionally throws up

Apr 15, 2021
Alright, so I have a poult that throws up when I pick it up. It has been eating and drinking, and it isn't lethargic. It only started doing this last night. Any help would be appreciated, Thank you!

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Turkey poult, 2 days old, I don't know the weight, it feels the same as the others.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
It only throws up when I pick it up, Then tries to swallow it.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
1 night.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No, they're fine.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Nothing that I know of.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Purina medicated chick starter, and water with Sav a Chick electrolytes.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Liquid, and a bit foamy.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
None
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I don't have a vet nearby, I'd prefer to treat it myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I don't
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
The bedding is straw, I have them in a storage bin.

That makes sense. I'll try to limit the picking up, I gotta tell my family that too.
It's okay, we all do it. Sometimes chicks will take a huge drink of water, then take off running just to throw up because they bounced all that water around their tiny crop. It happens!

Hand feeding is a great bonding experience that teaches them not to fear you, and then there's no risk of injuries. I often find myself hand feeding chicks while simultaneously petting them with the other hand so they get used to touch. Makes them easier to handle if you ever need to for some reason.

It's okay, we all do it. Sometimes chicks will take a huge drink of water, then take off running just to throw up because they bounced all that water around their tiny crop. It happens!

Hand feeding is a great bonding experience that teaches them not to fear you, and then there's no risk of injuries. I often find myself hand feeding chicks while simultaneously petting them with the other hand so they get used to touch. Makes them easier to handle if you ever need to for some reason.
Thank you!

Do you have any respiratory diseases in your flock?
Do you have a salt tested humidity gauge on your incubator?
What has your humidity been at?
No respiratory diseases, I do not have a humitdity gauge (I am looking for one) I do not know what the humidity has been at since I do not have a gauge yet.

Aww. I've done that before on accident too. You pushed on his crop too hard when picking him up.
Don't ever pick them up where you could push on their crop.
Don't do it again and he'll be fine.

Okay, so another question. Another one hatched a couple days ago, and he flips over on his back and can't get up, then when I pick him up he instantly falls asleep and his head kinda wobbles and he doesn't wake up.

Back
Top Bottom