Turkey poult slow to get going

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Kim65, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Kim65

Kim65 Songster

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    I have two narragansett poults, one of whom is on the track to starve out. I've been feeding her goats milk soaked turkey starter by a syringe several times a day, a drop of vit E oil, and she had some egg yolk earlier today.

She is still "too quiet", toddles around, pecks a little but just isn't vigorous like her mate.

How long should I expect to kick start this little poult? I know they are hard to get going sometimes.

2. Do you have any chicken chicks you can put in with them? The chicks are more active and will help keep your little guy moving.

Steve in NC

3. Kim65

Kim65 Songster

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    I should have said . . . they are in with six polish, four ameracauna and two japanese bantams [​IMG]

There is pecking and eating galore in there. I think her energy is just so low she can't find it in herself to exert to eat.

I actually saw her eat a few bites on her own today. Just once. I still gave her a snack (with a syringe) and will continue to do this, I guess, until she's up to par.

4. That's about all you can do, keep feeding and hopefully it will get enough energy to perk up.

Steve

5. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Songster

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    When we get a poult that is acting like yours we give them 2tablespoons of molasses 1tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per 1 gallon of warm water. we feed them this solution thru a 3cc syringe. Give about 1-2ccs slowly every other hour for the next day and it should snap out of it, if you have caught it early enough.

I would also take the poult(s) and put them in their own brooder and increase the heat by 5 deg and put the same mixture in their waterer and give them fresh food. this way the others don't trample the weak. Should be better in about a day or so ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: