Turkey poult slow to get going

Kim65

Songster
10 Years
May 29, 2009
Washington state
I have two narragansett poults, one of whom is on the track to starve out. I've been feeding her goats milk soaked turkey starter by a syringe several times a day, a drop of vit E oil, and she had some egg yolk earlier today.

She is still "too quiet", toddles around, pecks a little but just isn't vigorous like her mate.

How long should I expect to kick start this little poult? I know they are hard to get going sometimes.

I should have said . . . they are in with six polish, four ameracauna and two japanese bantams
roll.png

There is pecking and eating galore in there. I think her energy is just so low she can't find it in herself to exert to eat.

I actually saw her eat a few bites on her own today. Just once. I still gave her a snack (with a syringe) and will continue to do this, I guess, until she's up to par.

When we get a poult that is acting like yours we give them 2tablespoons of molasses 1tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per 1 gallon of warm water. we feed them this solution thru a 3cc syringe. Give about 1-2ccs slowly every other hour for the next day and it should snap out of it, if you have caught it early enough.

I would also take the poult(s) and put them in their own brooder and increase the heat by 5 deg and put the same mixture in their waterer and give them fresh food. this way the others don't trample the weak. Should be better in about a day or so ??

Back
Top Bottom