Vitamin e supplement suggestions? How to help sick/injured poult?

907poultry

Songster
Mar 4, 2022
I have a (Royal palm?) turkey poult hatched 03/14 (~3 weeks)
He/She weighs 119 grams. The others weigh 357g, 312g, 245g, and 253g.
His/Her neck is held severely sloped to the side, it runs backwards in circles, and chirps incessantly. The neck started a couple days ago, it arrived small and has been running around chirping and standing on one foot for the past 5 days. I suspected bumblefoot, I didn’t see anything but sprayed some vetericin on the feet a couple times.
He/She eats and drinks a lot, have not noticed abnormal poop, will update with a picture if I see any.
It sleeps away from the others usually clinging to a wall.
It moves a lot, reversing and writhing when I try to touch it. No pasty butt.
None of the others are showing symptoms.
They are feed 28% Alaska Mill & Feed Turkey Starter, with the occasional few bites of 22% AK M&F duckling/gosling starter (not a lot, and not on its own). I mix a little bit of brewer’s yeast into their feed (Naturvet with garlic flavor). They have access to chick grit, and are on wood pellets. I was slow to trust the new brand I had to use (the AK hardwood pellets were nowhere to be found). It may contain pine and other softwoods.
They used to get a little bit of nutri drench in their water, however I had to switch to Metzer Farm’s Poult Pack last night (I know this is not the problem, this started before).

I am seeing improvement today, eating a bunch, but now walking forwards again.

I have a (Royal palm?) turkey poult hatched 03/14 (~3 weeks)
He/She weighs 119 grams. The others weigh 357g, 312g, 245g, and 253g.
His/Her neck is held severely sloped to the side, it runs backwards in circles, and chirps incessantly. The neck started a couple days ago, it arrived small and has been running around chirping and standing on one foot for the past 5 days. I suspected bumblefoot, I didn’t see anything but sprayed some vetericin on the feet a couple times.
He/She eats and drinks a lot, have not noticed abnormal poop, will update with a picture if I see any.
It sleeps away from the others usually clinging to a wall.
It moves a lot, reversing and writhing when I try to touch it. No pasty butt.
None of the others are showing symptoms.
They are feed 28% Alaska Mill & Feed Turkey Starter, with the occasional few bites of 22% AK M&F duckling/gosling starter (not a lot, and not on its own). I mix a little bit of brewer’s yeast into their feed (Naturvet with garlic flavor). They have access to chick grit, and are on wood pellets. I was slow to trust the new brand I had to use (the AK hardwood pellets were nowhere to be found). It may contain pine and other softwoods.
They used to get a little bit of nutri drench in their water, however I had to switch to Metzer Farm’s Poult Pack last night (I know this is not the problem, this started before).

I am seeing improvement today, eating a bunch, but now walking forwards again.
You can try giving vitamin B complex at the rate of 1/2 tablet or capsule dissolved in one gallon of water. Make it the sole source of water. It should be made fresh daily.

Wry neck is a symptom that can have different causes.

I would not give the Brewers yeast if it has any garlic in it as garlic can be harmful.

Personally I cull any sickly poults immediately.

You can try giving vitamin B complex at the rate of 1/2 tablet or capsule dissolved in one gallon of water. Make it the sole source of water. It should be made fresh daily.

Wry neck is a symptom that can have different causes.

I would not give the Brewers yeast if it has any garlic in it as garlic can be harmful.

Personally I cull any sickly poults immediately.
It does not contain garlic, only tastes/smells of it; I bought it from our local poultry shop and the owner uses it for all of her birds.

He has improved greatly, I gave him some peanut butter/ sav-a-chic water and then a mash with turkey starter. His neck is still crooked, but he can now walk forwards and sleeps by the other birds.

I was leaning towards culling but I thought it was unusual for him to still be alive, so I figured if he could help himself partly, I could do the rest.

Back
Top Bottom