Turkey poult that can't peep?

I just bought a bourbon red turkey from show breeders. I'm pretty sure it's a boy. But its mute and cannot make noise at all. It just makes very faint hissing noises like it's trying to talk but can't. He hates us so much and tried to bite when we first got him. For age, idk but he's just now getting the upper chest feathers. I'm scared with this lil guy tho. He always breathes through his mouth like he's gasping for air. But sneezes constantly too. He has what looks like a scratch on his face and his nose looks like someone took a bite out of it. Idk if it is sick or a genetic problem or both? Just found out my chicks have coccidiosis from Tractor Supply (never buying chicks from there again ffs) so now all my chicks and other poults are sneezing too. Idk whats wrong but all the chickens and turkeys outside are sneezing too
Turkeys can and do hiss if they are upset with what you are doing. Don't expect a turkey poult to make chick noises.

It sounds like all of your birds have a respiratory problem.

Your poult does have beak damage that could be from rubbing on wire.

Turkeys can and do hiss if they are upset with what you are doing. Don't expect a turkey poult to make chick noises.

It sounds like all of your birds have a respiratory problem.

Your poult does have beak damage that could be from rubbing on wire.
we have had many turkeys and all of them have made the same *peefpeef* noise (thats the best way i can explain it lol) but he cannot make any sound. i did a test where i held a normal one securely but with its legs dangling and it did a stressed out cry, then with the weird one he just made those faint hissing noises. Like it was trying to do a cry but no sound would come out. Kind of like when people lose their voice, it's just nothing but air.

we have had a problem with mycoplasma and are still dealing with it, so that's probably where the respiratory problem is from. but the turkey came with its sneezing so i don't know if it maybe introduced something new too?

i don't know what the living conditions were like at the farm. but is there a way to make his beak better? like heal it? and will it ever be able to be normal or will he just have a scooped out nose forever

by the way thank you for your response. i've been searching everywhere on these issues and can't find anything

i don't know what the living conditions were like at the farm. but is there a way to make his beak better? like heal it? and will it ever be able to be normal or will he just have a scooped out nose forever
Beak tissue like fingernails is constantly growing. If you are concerned that something is eating it away, you could try applying a little neosporin.

Beak tissue like fingernails is constantly growing. If you are concerned that something is eating it away, you could try applying a little neosporin.
i think i just found out whats wrong with him. he's not sneezing because he's sick but its because his nostrils.

let me explain:
this morning one of the other turkeys ripped the whole scab off his nose, so it was all bloody. i cleaned it up with some peroxide. i noticed that his nostrils are very tiny, one of them is barely open. i'm thinking that with his previous injury, his nostrils and upper beak was damaged. there are scabs on the sides of his upper beak near the nostrils and a little part around the bottom+front of nostrils are scabby too. i put some neosporin on all of it and put the other turkeys outside.

with all of the sneezing/snorting, i believe there could be scabs inside as well, or he is just struggling to breathe through the small nostrils. could be both. could even be a nasal airway construction from a break. he mostly breathes through his mouth from what i've seen. struggles to breathe especially when eating. but i don't know why he's mute, because i don't know the story behind his injuries.

do turkeys need their nostrils in order to make noise or would that be something related to their voice box

Back
Top Bottom