Turkey Poult Weak and Sick, Help Please

JewelBirds

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 13, 2017
I have a turkey poult that is about a month old (4/5 weeks). She started looking poorly today when I let all the turkey babies out to clean their pen. Unlike all the others, she just laid on the ground and didn't run around. Basically she will occasionally stand but is very uneasy walking and only takes a few steps. She's still drinking and eating despite her weak and quiet state right now. When she is alert and not sleeping I'll bring the water dish and food dish to her. Her poop the last two times was light brown and normal, though the most recent one was mostly white and liquid-like. One last thing is her breathing. It's sort of making a weird noise, like a sticking or clicking. Not all the time. But once and a while, and I can see her cheeks puff all the time. No discharge from anywhere. In summary:
  • Temp. 107.0 (not sure if it's normal or not, there's very little to no information on this)
  • Breathing irregularities
  • Light brown normal poops, and recently mostly white
  • No strength or balance to walk
  • Sleeps often, but still eating and drinking
My hunch is pnemonia or coccidiosis but never dealt with either and don't know how to treat if it is (in birds that is).

Coccidiosis
Coccidiosis is a disease that can cause diarrhea and lack of "thrift" or good growth in poults. Medicated feed contains drugs that help treat or prevent coccidiosis. Keeping litter dry is also important, as this organism spreads and grows in wet, dirty litter. Also getting poults out onto pasture by eight weeks of age, and moving roosts to fresh ground frequently, will help prevent coccidiosis. Some hatcheries will vaccinate against coccidiosis for a small fee per chick.

In this case, you should not feed medicated feed, as it will inactivate the vaccine.

Airsacculitis
This is a respiratory disease that affects the turkeys' air sacs. You can't really treat airsacculitis. The main prevention is to make sure to purchase poults from a hatchery that tests for the disease in their breeding toms and hens.
The disease is transmitted in the egg, so the poults get it before they are even hatched

Cocci is common in this age and can be treated with Corid.

Medicated feed will not prevent it and for sure not cure it.

How did you check the temp?

Okay thank you. I used a regular therometer and took the rectal or vent temperature. I wasn't sure there was another way.

I had a similar problem with one of my burbon red toms. But since this site was upgraded I'm lost and don't even know how to search for what I did to help my Tom over come it. I fed him a eye dropper of water seeped in dried habanero flakes and in a couple of days he was much better. I felt bad for the poor guy and tried several things until I got desperate and on a whim tried habanero.

The habanero (/ˌhɑːbəˈnɛroʊ/; Spanish pronunciation: [aβaˈneɾo] ( listen)) is a variety of chili pepper. Unripe habaneros are green, and they color as they mature. The most common color variants are orange and red, but white, brown, yellow, green, and purple are also seen.[1] Typically, a ripe habanero chili is 2–6 cm (0.8–2.4 in) long. Habanero chilis are very hot, rated 100,000–350,000 on the Scoville scale.[2] The habanero's heat, its flavor, and its floral aroma have made it a popular ingredient in hot sauces and spicy foods.

I had a similar problem with one of my burbon red toms. But since this site was upgraded I'm lost and don't even know how to search for what I did to help my Tom over come it. I fed him a eye dropper of water seeped in dried habanero flakes and in a couple of days he was much better. I felt bad for the poor guy and tried several things until I got desperate and on a whim tried habanero.

Here is where you can see ALL of your posts:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/members/crealbilly.339795/

Back
Top Bottom