Turkey Poult with Dislocated Knee?!

It appears to be a slipped tendon. Treating it for splayed leg will not fix the problem. You have to manually work the tendon back into place and then secure it in place by making some type of brace or at least taping it in place.

Slipped tendon (perosis) is often due to insufficient thiamine and niacin. Get a good vitamin B complex and make it up at the rate of 1/2 tablet or capsule to 1 gallon of water. Make this the only source of water and do not add anything else to the water. It will benefit all of your poults. The solution should be made fresh daily.

I was wondering if it would be fixable. I tried to put some medical tape on it to hold in place but it still slides back out

It appears to be a slipped tendon. Treating it for splayed leg will not fix the problem. You have to manually work the tendon back into place and then secure it in place by making some type of brace or at least taping it in place.

Slipped tendon (perosis) is often due to insufficient thiamine and niacin. Get a good vitamin B complex and make it up at the rate of 1/2 tablet or capsule to 1 gallon of water. Make this the only source of water and do not add anything else to the water. It will benefit all of your poults. The solution should be made fresh daily.
Thank you!!! I will definitely try that. I’ve tried taping it a little and it slid back out, but I will try again. I just didn’t want to tape it too tightly

I was wondering if it would be fixable. I tried to put some medical tape on it to hold in place but it still slides back out
There was an episode of Dr. Oakley Yukon Vet where she made a splint out of a finger splint for a BBW that had a slipped tendon. It was an older poult and much larger so she was able to use a bigger splint than what you will need. The BBW did heal up fine. Unfortunately for it, it still became someone's Thanksgiving dinner.

There was an episode of Dr. Oakley Yukon Vet where she made a splint out of a finger splint for a BBW that had a slipped tendon. It was an older poult and much larger so she was able to use a bigger splint than what you will need. The BBW did heal up fine. Unfortunately for it, it still became someone's Thanksgiving dinner.
Oh gees! :eek:That’s a lot of work to go through for it to be Thanksgiving dinner! Maybe I can get a popsicle stick or something and tape it up

This is exactly what my little turkey’s (Little Foot) leg looks like. She was being walked all over by the others at the hardware store so I took her home. Been trying to fix her leg since Sunday. Thought it was a splay leg at first as well. Did you ever figure out if it was definitely dislocated or how to fix it? How is your little guys doing?

Back
Top Bottom