Turkey Poult with Prolapse

Jessi.Smith

Songster
Sep 30, 2018
Texas
What can I do for this poult? I have her isolated right now and applied vetericyn to the area.

20220515_120504.jpg

Can you tell if it's a prolapse with an egg in there or just tissue?

I would keep the tissue moist with ointment, honey or oil. Get some Calcium into her. 1 Caltrate with D3 would be ideal, but Tums will work in a pinch.

IF there's no egg, then clean the tissue and see if you can push it back in, the calcium can help with retention (and contractions).
IF there's an egg, then you will probably not be able to push that back in until the egg is out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

Thank you for your response!
The poult is only 6 weeks old, so it isn't related to laying an egg.
Yesterday I applied sugar to the prolapse area, and by the second application, it was already looking better.
20220515_205730.jpg

^last night before the second application.

This morning she was sleeping when I went to check on her, but there is a steady stream of white stuff coming from her vent.
20220516_072000.jpg

I woke her up and changed the potty pad and she ate a little - which I hope is a good sign. I have nutri-drench, not sure if I should offer her some of that.
20220516_072500.jpg

I would give her the poultry nutri-drench.

Sugar pack is good for prolapse, just keep the tissue moist, whatever you need to do.

The constant stream of white is urates, so she's having a hard time passing stool.

A soak in a warm epsom salts bath may help reduce some of the swelling, just don't put her in the bath if she's lethargic or really stressed, it could put her over the edge.

Hopefully you can get the prolapsed tissue back in.

I watched her pass a stool, and she did stuggle - she puffed out her wings and sort of grunted.

I made a mash of game bird starter, water, and nutri-drench, but she didn't seem interested in it.

She is more active and alert. She still has a little of the prolapse tonight, but has been eating and drinking. Since she seems stronger we are planning on giving her a soak tomorrow. I have her in a dog kennel in the laundry room for a nice quiet recovery, but she is not happy about being alone. She will chirp for us until we go talk to her.

I appreciate your time and help.

Back
Top Bottom