Turkey poult with swollen face - What to do?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Mims, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Mims

Mims Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    West Texas
    Hey guys. I have a Narragansett turkey poult. He is about 3 months old. I have had him for 2 months now, with no problems. He is in a separate pen next to my chicken coop. He is penned with 3 guineas, that are around 4 months old. They do occasionally all run around together (chickens, turkeys and guineas).

I noticed the day before yesterday, that the side of his face was a little swollen, below his eye, and near his beak. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture right now. Yesterday, it was slightly more swollen. The first day I noticed it, it was the size of an oval marble, roughly. Now its about the size of an oval grape.

I don't see any injury, and he is eating, drinking, and acting normally. What could this be, and how can I fix it?

He is my first turkey, and I'm trying to learn more about them, so forgive my ignorance. I have chickens somewhat figured out by now, but no so much on turkeys yet.

I was supposed to pick up 2 females yesterday, but decided not to, until I make sure he is healthy and happy.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Without a better picture I can only make some guesses. It could be a bug bite, an injury or even fowl pox. All should heal up okay without any intervention unless you see it having troubles eating, or that it's acting sick.

3. Mims

Mims Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    West Texas
    Swollen side

[​IMG]

Normal side

[​IMG]

The swelling has gone down a little, and his behavior is normal, so I will just continue to monitor him and see what happens.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My guess would still be with a bug bite of some sort or maybe an abscess in the mouth from eating something that poked it.

5. TJchicks

TJchicks New Egg

Jul 25, 2014
    Montgomery, LA
    Mine Blue Slate has the same thing but hers is on both sides of her face and its really big swollen. I don't think she can see to well. She's been like this but it got really bad yesterday!

6. DoodleTurkey

DoodleTurkey Just Hatched

Jun 13, 2016
    Could it be a sinus infection?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by