Turkey Processing

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by phoenixrises, Nov 7, 2013.

1. phoenixrises

phoenixrises Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2013
    Ok I have my first two turkeys. The tom is VERY large. Live weight two weeks ago was 35lbs (granted that was me holding him while stepping on a scale and subtracting my weight but he's big). I've processed chickens but that set up will NOT work for a bird of that size (luckily the other is a hen and my current equipment will work just fine). My big question is how the heck do I heat him up so I can then pluck him? My large stock pot would fit half of him. Someone suggested I get a metal stock tank and put it over a fire, but that's expensive and a lot of work for a one time thing.

So help! Is there a way to pluck without heating him. Am I really going to have to dip him in my tub at home. . .

Edited * wrote 25 instead of 35lbs

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  2. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I bought a metal, I guess it would be called a tub, from Tractor Supply. It was a little expensive but I planned to use it more times than 1. I filled it with boiling water and it worked just fine thought the hot water melted the seams slightly and it has a tiny drip now. Turkeys are a little harder to pluck because of all the down it sticks to your fingers and hands. But mostly its just like doing a chicken. We did a Tom last Easter and decided it would be easiest for us to hold his head over a chopping block and ax his head off. Worked perfect once we caught him and put the belt over his head(that was all the hard part, I think he sensed something was up).

3. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    We bought an enchilada pot to scald ours in and we bought a chicken plucker big enough yo pluck a turkey. That's it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by