Turkey sitting on eggs.... lots

crj

Songster
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
Rocky Point, NC
I have a bronze hen that is sitting on 10 or more eggs including one chicken egg. This is her first time at this and for me turkey wise. The hen came out of her nesting box and I had my daughter look inside with a flashlight to see how many eggs she was on. I think she has beein sitting on them for about 2 weeks. I'm hoping they are fertile. It would really be crappy if they weren't. I know her and my tom have mated a few times from what I saw. I have another hen but for some reason he doesn't find her "attractive" for some reason. Lately she has been makeing the "Chook" sound.... not quiet the bark but close. The broody hen did this while looking for a nesting area. I'm wondering if this hen is going broody. Thing is....... I don't think the tom has mated with her yet. How long is the incubation period for turkeys?

The turkeys take about 28 days. If there has been a tom in the yard with her, she probably got mated. I had to spend a lot of time watching to see my birds mate this year. I pulled 8 eggs in to incubate, and all are moving. She's sitting on another 12 right now outside.

Not from experience, but I'd be concerned about that one chicken egg. As chickens hatch in 21 days vs 28 for turkeys, I can see the turkey hen getting off the nest after that chick hatches.
hmm.png

Quote:
I have had a chicken to lay an egg in my turkey's nest last year and the darn chick hatched. The turkey stayed on the nest the remaining 7 days and hatched all 18 turkey eggs. She took care of that baby chick like it were her own. I was luck that she didn't get off of the nest.

Quote:
I wish I had an incubator. I have a chicken that can't seem to hatch her eggs. I had to get rid of another batch because she cooks them. I did see a the tom mate a hen. I just don't know which one he was with. I'm not sure how long the hen has been on the eggs. I'm guessing 2 weeks. I honestly don't know. I guess I will just have to wait and see what pops out of that little house.

I have a feeling the tom will make a very good dad. I taught him not to go after baby chicks and geese. I have two baby geese and 4 baby chicks that hang out together. When they first came around the tom he pecked at them to hurt them. So, I had a few words with him. He doesn't bother them any more not even when the young geese come up to him thinking he is mom...... lol. Tonight my dog was harrasssing 3 baby chicks I picked up the other day. I'd say they are about a week old. Well, Buddy (the tom) ran to the chicks and chased away the dog giving her several warnings that he was going to attack. My daughter and I were very surprised to see this happen. I told my daughter that Buddy didn't do anything wrong, he was doing his job. Pretty cool I thought..... lol. It didn't phase the dog any since she was walking away.... haha.

I just found my turkey Hen sitting on eggs in the woods even though I was told she wouldn't nest till spring. I have a question for all of you....when is a Tom mature enough to breed. I got the pair of them as babies at the end of march. Do you think she is sitting on infertile eggs?

Last edited:
How i wish Tina would sit on her eggs, hope to get @ least 4 to 8 little ones. She first started to lay in October

Back
Top Bottom