Turkey Size Question

bigredfeather

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Yorkshire, Ohio
I am doing some turkeys for the first time this year. I will be preselling them to my broiler customers for Thanksgiving. I will be receiving 9 poults( 3 Blue Slate, 3 bourbob Red, and 3 Bronze). As of now, I have them scheduled for delivery the first week of August. My plan is to run them with my broiler for the first 8 weeks, then move them to a fenced pasture area with a field shelter until the week before Thanksgiving, when they will be processed. I will likely feed them my 23% broiler feed all the way thru.
Now for my questions. Any idea about how big I can expect these turkeys to get doing them this way? And, about how much feed could I expect them to eat (trying to get an idea of how much I will have in them).
Thanks.

I am not a turkey expert, but they will not be very big by then. Most heritage breeds take 6-8 month to reach full size. I think you should switch to a broad breasted type instead. Last year we raised some BBB (broad breasted bronze) that we got the first week of August. We feed 28% for the first 2 months then dropped to 20% and they were in the 12-15 lb range by thanksgiving. The BBW will grow bigger faster though.

Do some research over in the turkey section if your havent yet. It's not advisable to have them on grass before 6-8 weeks, or to raise them with chickens.

We raised bronze breasted last year. Had one male and one female. We raised them on the same feed we fed our chickens. We got them in June and by 4months the male was 50lbs when I butchered it. We waited another month for the female, and she was 35lbs.

We did BR turkeys for the first time last year and we started them in the beginning of April. Granted we didn't feed them really high protein feed, but still the 4 males that we butchered 5 days before Thanksgiving only dressed out at 9-11 pounds. This year we're trying to start as early as possible (eggs in the incubator right now from the breeders that we kept from last year) and we're going to up the protein and also build a turkey tractor and get them out on pasture too.
You may want to get them sooner, like now?
big_smile.png

Good luck!

At three months old heritage breed turkeys will be the size of a large chicken but nowhere near what is generally expected from a turkey. The heritage breeds will average about 7 months to grow out on good feed. If you can switch over to a Broad Breasted White they will be ready in around 5 months. You would need to have them in your possession by late June or early July. If you are going to stick to the heritage breeds then you need them on the property by mid April. Good Luck.

Quote:
After doing a little more research, the answer you provided is the same conclusion I came to, so I called the hatchery and they are going to ship them to me on April 14th. I am hoping that even if I run them for 8 weeks with my broilers, they will be okay by November. Who knows, when I get them I may decide to keep them seperate and feed them a high % feed. Not what I want to do, but it may be what's best. My customers are looking for 12-16 pounders, so that is my target.
Thanks!

I tried 6 last year BBW, got them in late july and they were nicely started, well feathered ( did not ask the age). Ran them 6 weeks with the red rangers I was trying. 3 were toms and 3 hens. The Toms made it to about 20lbs by Nov. They were super eating.
I smoked one of the hens for a football party and it was gone in no time.

Ordered 12 to arrive first of May. Going to let them out like you are planning on.

How are you guys getting BBW turkeys in the middle of summer? I have yet to find any, they are here in the early spring then gone it seems like till next year. There a secret site I'm missing out on? Id rather not have to freeze the bird at all. Id rather process it, let it rest then serve it. Takes up WAAAY to much freezer space to even attempt to justify it to my wife.

Thank you and I'm sorry if I thread jack! Its not intentional!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom