Turkey Talk for 2014

Good luck on your hatches!
fl.gif

Hi there. I haven't posted much on this site, but do have a look from time to time. I have a Midget White hen who has 8 babies that are about 7 weeks old. The hen is already mating again for another batch. I really don't need more than my original 2. The chicks are so adorable. They quickly figured out the big creature (me) often has food in hand. I hate to see them go but they must.
Can anyone tell me if there is a certain age when it's best to rehome them? Also, when might I be able to see the little beards? I should remember from last year's hatch but I don't.

What do you find most people want to do with the poults? Breed them to eat them or eat the ones they buy?

What do you find most people want to do with the poults? Breed them to eat them or eat the ones they buy?

I have only hatched two batches of narragansett and royal palms this year. Most of the people wanted pairs to have them breed.I only had one that bought to eat them. I tried to sell them at one week so they where eating good and had a better chance.The last batch I had for two weeks. That was to long for me! I got way to attached to them and ended up keeping four of them. I held them for a guy 4 days and when he didn't come the day he said.I told him it was to late. I told him Sorry I had them to long and got to attached! Since he didn't show I was keeping them.He was very nice about it and is on the top of my list for my next batch.

Last edited:
should be able to start seeing the beards by this fall. might have to catch them to have a closer look sooner than that. i think i could start seeing mine late summer but had to catch him. but you should be able to tell if they are toms or not before they grow beards. sometimes as early as 7-8 weeks

Our hen is setting on 18 eggs, we have had 6 hatch in the last 24 hours. So cute.

Will it be okay to leave the babies with her or should we bring them in and raise them under a heat lamp? I am just wondering because when our one hen hatched out babies some were killed by the other hens (chickens that is) so I am worried they might get hold of these little ones and harm them. She is in a chain link kennel by herself and is extremely protective. Also, we have put food and water out for them, will she show them how to eat and drink? This is our first time raising turkeys from a hen hatching her own.

Funny thing is I am really surprised they hatched as she collected these eggs over the course of several weeks, sat on them, would leave them and some nights were down right frigid yet they are hatching.

Our hen is setting on 18 eggs, we have had 6 hatch in the last 24 hours. So cute.

Will it be okay to leave the babies with her or should we bring them in and raise them under a heat lamp? I am just wondering because when our one hen hatched out babies some were killed by the other hens (chickens that is) so I am worried they might get hold of these little ones and harm them. She is in a chain link kennel by herself and is extremely protective. Also, we have put food and water out for them, will she show them how to eat and drink? This is our first time raising turkeys from a hen hatching her own.

Funny thing is I am really surprised they hatched as she collected these eggs over the course of several weeks, sat on them, would leave them and some nights were down right frigid yet they are hatching.

I, personally, would leave them. But I'd put up smaller diameter fencing around the bottom of the chain link, maybe a couple feet high, so the poults don't go through and get killed. I like to use the plastic mesh hardware cloth. It's easy to cut to size, put up and take down, if needed. It's pretty cheap too. Congratulations!

Congrats! I would also leave them with the momma. I'm sure you can find something to put around the pen I have even used screen and zip ties. Just make sure that cats and other critters can't get to them.

Our turkey Chirpy strutting his stuff. :>
He is such a cutie!

Back
Top Bottom