Turkey Talk for 2014

2013 Thanksgiving turkeys were processed yesterday. 5 turkeys, they weighed in at 14lbs(BR Tom), 25lbs(BBW Hen), 25.5lbs(BBW Hen), 32lbs(BBW TOM) and 37lbs(BBW Tom).

Sold 2 turkeys last night to customers
clap.gif

Now to figure out how to cook a 37lb turkey lol.
Dh bought a supersize roasting pan and it barely handles the 35# toms. I used heavy duty foil under the legs that over hang the edge of the pan, and it directs the juices back into the pan. ANd prevents drips onto the oven floor.

I have 2 requests for turkeys this week-- they are off to processor later today. One is willing to pay $5 a pound dressed. I almost fell over.

Dh bought a supersize roasting pan and it barely handles the 35# toms. I used heavy duty foil under the legs that over hang the edge of the pan, and it directs the juices back into the pan. ANd prevents drips onto the oven floor.

I have 2 requests for turkeys this week-- they are off to processor later today. One is willing to pay $5 a pound dressed. I almost fell over.
I will have to look for a large roasting pan. Do you think walmart carries some super sized pans?

And congrats on selling some turkeys this week. I think $5 is very reasonable. A lot of feed and time go into getting them ready for thanksgiving and not to mention if they get sent out there is a processing fee. What variety are your customers getting?

Turkeys are typically very nice and very friendly. They have puppy-like personalities most of the time. They are curious, very social and personable. Of course some individual turkeys might not have a great personality but for the most part they are sweet.
thank you I will look more in getting some. What breed wool be best to get?

All the varieties are wonderful with similar personalities. There is a wide variety of colors to chose from. A good website to get an idea on the colors out there is www.porterturkeys.com

I raise Bourbon Reds.They are friendly absolutely beautiful and rank very high on the taste tests that have been done. So they are my pick.

We are still in the process of down sizing, our last Bourbon Red tom is the star for Thanksgiving. We had over 100 at our peak, Royal Palm, White Holland, Beltsville White, Bourbon Red, Midget White and standard Bronze. Now we have 8 Bronze and about 20 Midget White, planning on breeding a new batch of both in 2014 but only keeping about 10 Midgets.

Arielle do you have any tips on cooking this very large bird whole to keep it from drying out during the process?

Last edited:
Arielle do you have any tips on cooking this very large bird whole to keep it from drying out during the process?
Brine to keep it from drying out. I like to smoke the bigger bird. Just remember if you Brine to WASH it off before you cook it. I also add a little sugar to my brine to offset the salt.

1. Are you prepared for Turkey season for 2014? Yep already have my poults

2. When do your hens start laying eggs? They don't.

3. What breeds do you plan on raising for 2014? BBW (Show Birds)

4. What is your current Tom/Hen Ratio? All Hens

5. How many poults do you plan on hatching? bought 50 live poults will get 50 more in June

6. Did you order any poults from other hatcheries? If so, what hatchery, what breed and how many are you expecting? Ideal/ Texas A&M BBW 50!

7. Are you ordering turkey eggs from someone? If so, how many? I'm going to Louisianna and get some from Celie!

8. Will you be using an incubator to hatch your turkey eggs? No Celie please hatch them

9. Do you want your hens to go broody so that they can hatch eggs? I don't know Nuthin' about Birthin no babies Mrs Scarlette!

10. Will you be selling eggs and/or poults? See 2 & 9

11. What are your feed plans for 2014? Anyone trying fermented feed for their flock? High protein Pushing them to get big Quick. And yes I'm FF

12. Do you have your housing ready for your poults and turkeys? Yes they are in the Turkey Taj Mahal They have a 30 x16 climate controlled building with a radiant heater. And a 35' run. Spoiled Birds!!

13. How many turkeys will you be processing for your freezer for 2014? Hopefully not for MY freezer but probably around 100.

14. What did you do this year that you want to do different next year (2014)? Get higher than 4th place! And add automatic waterers!

1. Are you prepared for Turkey season for 2014? About as prepared as I can be. There is a lot of winter to get out of the way. :)
2. When do your hens start laying eggs? Usually by the middle of February.
3. What breeds do you plan on raising for 2014? Midget White
4. What is your current Tom/Hen Ratio? Ratio varies according to what improvements I'm working on.
5. How many poults do you plan on hatching? 100+
6. Did you order any poults from other hatcheries? If so, what hatchery, what breed and how many are you expecting? No
7. Are you ordering turkey eggs from someone? If so, how many? No
8. Will you be using an incubator to hatch your turkey eggs? Yes
9. Do you want your hens to go broody so that they can hatch eggs? They will go broody if I want them to or not. LOL
10. Will you be selling eggs and/or poults? Yes
11. What are your feed plans for 2014? Anyone trying fermented feed for their flock? Whole grains (fermented), free ranging, game bird pellets
12. Do you have your housing ready for your poults and turkeys? Yes
13. How many turkeys will you be processing for your freezer for 2014? 10+
14. What did you do this year that you want to do different next year (2014)? We're building another turkey coop with automatic waterers.

Back
Top Bottom