Turkey Talk for 2014

MY TURKEYS ARE HATCHING! 8 out of 10 are out. And the 2 others have pipped.
Bourbons reds

Last edited:

She discovered the roost within a few hours. They were on the floor last night when I checked, but on the roost by morning.

All five BR found the food within minutes.

Before the poults were added.
This is only a temporary pen. They will only outgrow it if I keep any babies too long next year. Also, the pop door (which they don't have access to yet) won't fit them beyond about three months. Maybe less. The BBW were too big by about 6 weeks.
Speaking of BBW!!
ep.gif
Two days ago, they were just above my knee, their backs just about there. Now, their heads come up to my crotch! I know they stand in different positions, but I swear they grew about eight inches in two days! Is that normal?

There are so many cute new poults on here and you guys did not warn me how cute and friendly these little ones are!!!! I have had 3 hatch so far. My silkies initially stole the eggs and started the incubation but when my turkey girl went broody, I put them under her so there could be more to hatch a bit later. My question is, the oldest poult is 4 days old and the youngest is 2 days. Momma is really not getting off of the nest at all. Should I take the eggs from her so she starts getting up to care for the poults? I do have another broody turkey hen to put these remaining eggs under.

not sure is there large enough for Thanksgiving yet XD
9 of the 10 eggs I set have hatched, and the 10th is hatching as I type! Amazing fertility!

Last edited:

She discovered the roost within a few hours. They were on the floor last night when I checked, but on the roost by morning.

All five BR found the food within minutes.

Before the poults were added.
This is only a temporary pen. They will only outgrow it if I keep any babies too long next year. Also, the pop door (which they don't have access to yet) won't fit them beyond about three months. Maybe less. The BBW were too big by about 6 weeks.
Speaking of BBW!!
ep.gif
Two days ago, they were just above my knee, their backs just about there. Now, their heads come up to my crotch! I know they stand in different positions, but I swear they grew about eight inches in two days! Is that normal?
They are so cute! And smart love your set up. My older turkey did not want in the coop much only when it rained hard or was extremely cold. Most of the time they stayed outside.
I am not sure about the BBW's as this will be my first year with them and mine are a month old and out growing their second brooder.

Hey, thankyou everyone!

they are broad breasted whites. I am pretty excited. I think im just going to get hens and not Toms. I love this website you are all so helpful.

Back
Top Bottom