Turkey Talk for 2014

I lost all 4 of mine last week from the flipping issue; one by one they got weaker and succumbed. I will try this if I ever have this issue again. I wish this information was posted earlie but I am sure it can help someone else!!

Another interesting thought I had was a truck I use for newborn pups. When my dog gets ready to deliver I keep frozen beef liver on hand which is packed full of nutrients. The liver itself is too strong for newborn pups (and liver acts as a laxative) so I boil it in a bit of water and make a broth. This mixture can bring pups back from the brink of death. It would e interesting to see the effects on poultry, or even other baby animals for that matter. I would assume the bandits are similar across the board. At least, it couldn't hurt if you re at wits end trying to save an animal.

I am sorry for your lost, I know how it feels.

Quote: I am sorry you lost your poults.
hugs.gif
I have read the Turkey 101 buy Kuntry Girl that I have posted for some newbies to read on how to raise their turkey.
I have not had any with the flipping problems. I mix catfish meal in with my medicated chick starter to boost the protein as they only have a 20% protein here. And the poults need 28%! Plus I do not let my poults out of the brooder on the ground for the first two months. They have to have the heat!

Thinking forward to Thanksgiving, what day do you all like to have your turkeys processed on. Im sending my turkeys to the processor down the road and I scheduled for the Mon before. I wonder if I should have done the Sun before or if it doesn't really make a difference.

Thinking forward to Thanksgiving, what day do you all like to have your turkeys processed on. Im sending my turkeys to the processor down the road and I scheduled for the Mon before. I wonder if I should have done the Sun before or if it doesn't really make a difference.

The BBW will be done in 3 weeks. For the Bourbons next year, I am thinking one week before.

It should be fine. I always recommend letting the carcass rest in a cooler or refrigerator for at least 3 days.

I lost all 4 of mine last week from the flipping issue; one by one they got weaker and succumbed. I will try this if I ever have this issue again. I wish this information was posted earlie but I am sure it can help someone else!!

Another interesting thought I had was a trick I use for newborn pups. When my dog gets ready to deliver I keep frozen beef liver on hand which is packed full of nutrients. The liver itself is too strong for newborn pups (and liver acts as a laxative) so I boil it in a bit of water and make a broth. This mixture can bring pups back from the brink of death. It would e interesting to see the effects on poultry, or even other baby animals for that matter. I would assume the bandits are similar across the board. At least, it couldn't hurt if you re at wits end trying to save an animal.

I'm sorry you lost your poults. I did a lot of research before I got mine. I had read about alfalfa on several different sites, but I had forgotten. I did feed romaine to the earlier babies, so maybe that's why they didn't have any problems. This group's a strange bunch. They didn't have the benefit of a tutor, so maybe that's why they are so noisy and weird.

I raw feed my dogs, so always have raw meat in the fridge. When the babies first started seizing, I knew I needed to get something in them and they wouldn't eat, so I syringed some blood from the beef heart into them. It gave 3 of the 4 the boost they needed to eat and drink on their own, at least for awhile. It was the next day that I remembered the alfalfa. I syringed the ff fluid, after soaking the cubes in it, into the 4th bird and he started eating shortly after. So my opinion is your broth couldn't hurt and might do them some good.

He does look very rough. I personally would have walked away from people that sell birds that look like that. But on the other hand this poult may have better care with you:)

How else does he look health wise? Is he active and lively? He seems a bit hunched in the photo though it could just be his stance at the time the pic was snapped.
he is putting on weight and his feathers are looking better. He is not as lively as my chickens but isn't slow

Back
Top Bottom