Turkey Teaching

Caves Oddities

Hatching
Dec 11, 2019
Sangudo, Alberta
Along with my newly acquired flock, I got four fabulous turkies. Two teenagers (hatched this summer) and two beautiful ladies between 2 and 3 years old. The "Twins" are brown and white, Graycie is, of course, grey and P is white with grey (I'll get pics as soon as possible as I'm not sure on breeds). I don't have much knowledge when it comes to these guys. They eat the same as their flock, perch on bigger things and make really interesting sounds.
So, why I'm here....P seems to be in puppy love.....with me. She chases me in the barn, rubs on my legs, sits on my feet and loves to be 'pet'. Is this normal behavior for a turkey? Does she truly like me? Or am I missing a clue....does she need something and I'm not aware of it?

Along with my newly acquired flock, I got four fabulous turkies. Two teenagers (hatched this summer) and two beautiful ladies between 2 and 3 years old. The "Twins" are brown and white, Graycie is, of course, grey and P is white with grey (I'll get pics as soon as possible as I'm not sure on breeds). I don't have much knowledge when it comes to these guys. They eat the same as their flock, perch on bigger things and make really interesting sounds.
So, why I'm here....P seems to be in puppy love.....with me. She chases me in the barn, rubs on my legs, sits on my feet and loves to be 'pet'. Is this normal behavior for a turkey? Does she truly like me? Or am I missing a clue....does she need something and I'm not aware of it?
You can check out the many different heritage varieties of the breed Turkey at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

Your description of "P" fits that of a turkey that was imprinted by people as a poult. Lying down in front of you is a sign that she wants to be bred.

Back
Top Bottom