Turkey tips needed!!

I was thinking of raising some turkeys. Royals plans to be exact. And was wondering how much space they need? How many do I need? What kind of shelter do they need? Any tips appreciated thanks
I went into this blind so I could only share from experience not expertise. Ours are 1 year old. Had them since babies. We have raised them unconventionally. They are carried, rocked, pet, etc... they started out first 10 months in a 20x20 coup with pullets. the pullets got their own coop. added our 2 muscovy ducks with the turkeys. The Tom didn’t like it at first. Now he thinks he owns them LOL!
thry love to perch high. ours free range but will make their way back to the coop on their own within 30 mins. If you’re on IG or FB my farm is Lawrence Lovestock- I have alot of pics on there.

Attachments

• B21A1A53-FA1A-4D53-9B77-DFF15A16F286.jpeg
    B21A1A53-FA1A-4D53-9B77-DFF15A16F286.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 7CCD43FA-5FA8-4C32-9CB0-51F16631F0F6.jpeg
    7CCD43FA-5FA8-4C32-9CB0-51F16631F0F6.jpeg
    522.2 KB · Views: 4
I went into this blind so I could only share from experience not expertise. Ours are 1 year old. Had them since babies. We have raised them unconventionally. They are carried, rocked, pet, etc... they started out first 10 months in a 20x20 coup with pullets. the pullets got their own coop. added our 2 muscovy ducks with the turkeys. The Tom didn’t like it at first. Now he thinks he owns them LOL!
thry love to perch high. ours free range but will make their way back to the coop on their own within 30 mins. If you’re on IG or FB my farm is Lawrence Lovestock- I have alot of pics on there.
What age do they start laying?

Where can I find poults?
I HIGHLY recommend porters rare turkeys. Kevin is wonderful. He has awesome birds. There is a clear difference in the turkeys I have from him versus other sources as far as quality and good health. Of course I’m comparing apples to oranges because I have BB and BB crosses from someplace else and heritage turkeys from Kevin. It’s just that my experience with Kevin is far superior to that with anyone else as it relates. I highly recommend him. You can find porters rare turkeys online.
be warned, feed mills and feed store chains often try to pass off BB poults as heritage. And unless you’re planning to process them before twenty weeks you don’t want BBs. Trust me there. It sounds like you’re planning to keep them longer than that because you’re asking when they start laying so I’d suggest being certain you go heritage.

Back
Top Bottom