Turkey tom with swollen face! Please help.

NakedNeck1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 16, 2013
Noticed yesterday morning that my tom's face was swollen on one side. He is acting completely normal, still eating and drinking as usual and hanging out with his ladies. Not sure if it's a blocked sinus or something else.

Normally with chickens and other poultry, a swollen eye almost always means a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma or coryza. Coryza usually has a bad odor around the face. Tylan 50 injectable or Terramycin in the water would be a good start for treatment. These diseases can make them carriers for life. Here is a link to click on for info: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

This morning his face looks much worse. He is still eating and comes to me for treats. Yesterday I noticed that his back was wet and thought that was because it had just rained but this morning I caught him wiping his head on his back and leaving a discharge. I located the Tylan 50 at the feed store and am headed to get it now. My question is where do I inject it and what is the recommended dosage? I will be quarantining him from the rest of my flock of turkeys and chickens when I get home. Should I treat the rest of the flock? None of them are showing symptoms. I've included a pic of his poop from this morning, just in case I'm missing something. How long does it normally take to show improvement once the Tylan is started? What is the likely hood of the rest of my flock getting it? Sorry for all the questions, just don't want anybody else to get sick and thank you for your help.

For large birds tylan dose is usually 1/2 cc given once daily for 5 days in the breast. I would treat immediately. And yes separate him to be cautious. If others aren't showing symptoms I would not treat them yet. you can get tylan 50 at feed store along with syringes. Hope this helps and keep us posted.

Sorry that I didn't see your post earlier. Tylan 50 is 50 mg per ml. The dosage varies with weight and is usually 10 mg per pound. A 5 lb bird would get 50mg or 1 ml, a 10 lb bird would get 100 mg or 2 ml, a 15 lb bird 150 mg or 3 ml, a 20 lb bird 200mg or 4 ml. A turkey who is much larger than a chicken could probably get Tylan 200 which is 200 mg per ml, or 4 times stronger than Tylan 50. That way less volume would be needed to inject. How much does your turkey weigh?

Your turkey should be isolated from the others, although they may have already been exposed. The Tylan should only be given to the sick ones, and it is to prevent secondary bacterial infections from a virus. Hopefully, he will start getting better in a couple of days. If he has coryza (the one with the bad smell) it could take up to 2 months for him to get over it.

Last edited:
Yesterday I went to the feed store and their Tylan was expired :( so I had to improvise. I got a bottle of oxytetracyline and after much research to which I didn't find much info on I decided to give him the recommend dose for a 25 lb pig. I weighed him of course before I decided on that dose. Sure would have thought he weighed more than 23 lbs. He has been removed from the others to which he is not too happy about. Anyways to my surprise this morning he was gobbling up a storm. When I went outside this is what I found....
. Needless to say I'm very happy but I now need to know if I should give him the shot daily and for how long?

Also forgot to post that there is no smell coming from the clear discharge of his eyes and nose.

Here is what I have... Please correct me if my math is wrong, lol.

A) Suggests that you give .25ml per 2.2 pounds (50mg/kg) every three to five days.
B) Suggests that you give 1ml per 2.2 pounds (200mg/kg) once a day for 3-5 days.

This is what it has for cattle, which is what's on the bottle, I think. You can see that cattle get way less than birds do (6.6-20mg per 2.2 pounds).

I've never used it, but if I were going to, I think I'd call UC Davis and ask someone there how much to give.Please correct me if my math is wrong, lol.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom