Turkey Vulture Pictures and Video

We have these all around because deer get hit by cars and that's the vultures favorite meal around here. Hot steaming bloated rotting deer :sick

But imagine how nasty the deer would get without them... the ones we have here can clean up a full deer in two, maybe three days. Keeps the smell and disease down! They are beautiful

I would like to share this beautiful velociraptor with you... This is actually a vulture, but a different kind of vulture, It eats bones instead of rotted flesh. Bones for breakfast.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190522-213307_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190522-213307_Chrome.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 33
Heh, what a coincidence, ref. those last posted pics. I recently posted a fanfic novel and the main character's name was Lammergeier!

Thanks to global warming, turkey vultures have recently expanded their range to include Nova Scotia and now even nest here! I've been keeping an eye out, but havent' seen one for myself yet. I think they look cool. I bought a small hardcover book at Indigo last year about vultures, simply called Vulture...very good informative book with lots about turkey vultures in particular and the fun to be had rehabbing them. Check it out if you see it. I learned a lot about our newest addition to the bird lists here from it.

Sad news is we lost an ewe this evening, on positive note I might be able to get some pics tomorrow of our local vultures, and probably a bunch of eagles too, I scared off three Golden’s, and at least seven bald eagles. The vultures, being sensible birds, were already up for the night! I much prefer the vultures.

Sad news is we lost an ewe this evening, on positive note I might be able to get some pics tomorrow of our local vultures, and probably a bunch of eagles too, I scared off three Golden’s, and at least seven bald eagles. The vultures, being sensible birds, were already up for the night! I much prefer the vultures.

Maybe they have too much competition among the raptors there but they will kill things.

Have you considered burning or burying the ewe carcass ?

If the eagles are a threat, allowing them to have a carcass might be counterproductive to keeping them away from young lambs, etc. as it’s likely attracting them to or holding them in your area.

Just a thought... it might or might not be feasible in your case depending on a lot of different things, but I know Golden’s can be rough on lambs.

Have you considered burning or burying the ewe carcass ?

If the eagles are a threat, allowing them to have a carcass might be counterproductive to keeping them away from young lambs, etc. as it’s likely attracting them to or holding them in your area.

Just a thought... it might or might not be feasible in your case depending on a lot of different things, but I know Golden’s can be rough on lambs.

They are out on pasture and we are well past lambing. We do remove anything that dies near the lambing area. I’m not sure what killed the ewe, but I recognized her number (so there was probably an issue with her). With our disposal pit for the “inedible” parts we basically have an all you can eat buffet for them during slaughter season here. They are only a threat January-March usually, and the Golden’s are the better of the two (they stay away from the lambing area) All three species nest here. The vultures migrate, and are here from spring through fall equinoxes. Their rookery is in the bluff/cliff on the farm.

Back
Top Bottom