old tom young tom old hen young hen
Bronze 36 lbs 25 lbs 20 16
Narri 33 23 18 14
Holland 36 25 20 16
Bourbon 33 23 18 14
Beltsville 21 17 12 10
Palm 22 16 12 10

You will find points deducted for you 42 pound BR tom if the judge is APA

Yup exactly, but very few turkeys are these weights even at 3 years old, that you can buy these days.

That's fine, I would rather have a bird bigger then too small. Again we don't do show birds, but the kid wanted to do them in 4H, If I was entitled to show birds I would just show the younger birds, but this guy is the family pet and of course he had to go.

The bronze and narri are perfect on the weight, far as points go bronze 2 lbs over and the narri 1.5 lbs over at the age of 1.5 years. If i wanted to show them I would just start feeding them on a maintenance ration and they would be perfect for the next few years. But again don't really care about ribbons. The kid might if they take ribbons at the fair ??
big_smile.png

Yup exactly, but very few turkeys are these weights even at 3 years old, that you can buy these days.

yup I don't agree. lets have the other turkey people out there weight their birds and see what comes out - I'm very interested.

For 4H every body gets a ribbon. I'm talking about APA Standards.

And since this topic is about grow out weights of meat birds you should have a bunch growing out for your Thanksgiving sales yes? And they should be in the 15 to 20 pound range. Can you show us some pics of these.

Steve in NC​

yup I don't agree. lets have the other turkey people out there weight their birds and see what comes out - I'm very interested.

Well what r urs ??

No they don't, only the very young kids. Every bird is judge to the APA Standards. it is pretty much the same as a bird show but more aimed at the youth. But their is 1st and 2nd place in every class, so I guess that is the ribbons I speak of.

And since this topic is about grow out weights of meat birds you should have a bunch growing out for your Thanksgiving sales yes? And they should be in the 15 to 20 pound range. Can you show us some pics of these.

15 - 20 range ?? Right now ?? NO !! The oldest ones I have hatched out mid April. If they were that big now then they would be monsters at Thanksgiving. There still is 4 months of grow out left for T-Day.​

Yupp wild turkeys fly very well I did at one time raise them. I was talking about two I had bought that was weaker in the wings than the rest of the turkeys I had.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes that is what happens when they are raised in a pen their entire life with a low roost and then after a couple years they are real weak in the wings because they never used them and they are fat from no exercise.

Can I impose??? I bought BB back in late March (makes him almost 5mos.) and my tom sure is a big boy. I do need to take the scale out and have my son weigh him. I question whether he HAS to be a meal? Will he survive as a pet? My DD would love to hope so. I thought that their bodies will not endure that weight for too long. How long could we keep him as a pet? They free range most of the time and they are on flock raiser. And.....he can not fly up to roost as my BR's and BS.

Quote:
Well what r urs ??

No they don't, only the very young kids. Every bird is judge to the APA Standards. it is pretty much the same as a bird show but more aimed at the youth. But their is 1st and 2nd place in every class, so I guess that is the ribbons I speak of.

15 - 20 range ?? Right now ?? NO !! The oldest ones I have hatched out mid April. If they were that big now then they would be monsters at Thanksgiving. There still is 4 months of grow out left for T-Day.​

But still they must be bigger than "store bought" how about some pics. It should be very obvious to see yours would be larger thru your selective breeding and feeding methods.

Steve in NC​

Back
Top Bottom