Turkey with injured leg...help

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Jean Scriven, May 18, 2017.

1. Jean Scriven

Jean Scriven New Egg

May 18, 2017
    IMG_4196.JPG Hi! We have a pet turkey, Sybil, and decided to get her a friend. A friend of mine was picking up some turkeys from a farm and we said we would have one as a friend for Sybil. However, instead of letting us know they'd got the turkeys they put one over the fence to our allotment and in doing so she seems to have injured her leg badly and we're not quite sure what to do about it...can anyone give us any advice? Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Colonel-Sanders

Colonel-Sanders Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2017
    Ohio
    It looks quite bad, the obvious recommendation is a vet. *I have splinted broken bird legs before and they have turned out properly healed with proper cleaning and keeping a close eye on them, but I've never attempted to fix a leg with that severe of a break...

*Please be warned that I am not a professional and you can attempt fixing it yourself at your own risk.

Jean Scriven likes this.
  3. Jean Scriven

Jean Scriven New Egg

May 18, 2017
    Thank you...I have a vet appointment for her now. Just not looking forward to the outcome...she is so lovely.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm not positive, but it looks like it could be twisted tibia maybe? What did the vet say?

5. Jean Scriven

Jean Scriven New Egg

May 18, 2017
    Thanks for your reply. The appointment with the vet is later today so I will let you know :)

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @Jean Scriven , what did the vet say? :fl

WVduckchick likes this.
  7. Jean Scriven

Jean Scriven New Egg

May 18, 2017
    Hi! Polly had an x ray yesterday morning...she had a torn ligament in one leg and the second leg had a dislocation and the tissue inside her leg had begun to become necrotic so we had to let her go ...they didn't bring her round from the anaesthetic. Thanks for asking.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss. :hugs

WVduckchick likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by