turkey with no energy...please help

sabong

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
This morning i noticed that my blue slate turkey had his neck drawn up, he had his eyes shut and he had no energy...last night he seemed fine...and all the other turkeys seem fine...they are about 4-5 months old...i don't have a clue what may have happened but I'm really concerned...i can't loose $60 worth of turkeys...if you have any advice i would really appreciate it...thanks

even though we are not supposed to cross post, i would try the turkey section! Some people just go on that and they do the turkey thing something ferce. Quail section is like that as well....

Hope that helps... for now, but that one by itself so it doesn't get the others sick. I know that turleys have a high mortality rate and have no immune systems so they are prone to stuff. i had 2 and lost one.....................i cried!

Do they live with chickens, or near to chickens? Have you raised turkeys before? Isolate him and look at his poop. Sick turkey around here = blackhead until proven otherwise.

Quote:
They are around chickens...but they don't come in contact...i thought it might be blackhead but i don't know what to do to cure it...these are the first turkeys i've had

If there are chickens nearby, there is a good chance that it is blackhead (histomoniasis). You can contact a local vet who deals with either birds or farm animals for medication. Diagnosis is typically made on necropsy. If you live in the states, most states have low cost to free necropsy testing on poultry. The lesions are distinctive (liver) & cecum. You need to control cecal worms in the flock with regular deworming- this will help control the carrier worm. The protozoal organism needs to be treated separately. Many turkeys get a yellowish diarrhea, but not all. They don't usually get a black head. You cannot cure them long term if they stay on your property, you can treat them, and try to prevent reinfection.... Keeping the soil dry and moving waterers and feeders can help prevent buildup of the organism in the soil.

Back
Top Bottom