Turkey with Swollen face

Ash_OB

In the Brooder
May 24, 2022
Hello! I'm new to raising chickens and turkeys. We have 2 turkeys we've raised from poults, and we transitioned them from the brooder to a coop and run on Sunday this past weekend. On Monday afternoon I noticed one of our turkeys had a swollen cheek. I originally looked like maybe he was stung or bitten by something and was still eating/drinking and acting normal. Today when I got home, the swelling seems to be a bit worse and I'm not sure I know what's going on. Any thoughts on what it might be and any advice on treatment would be greatly appreciated! Pictures are from yesterday and today. Thanks!
20220523_170938.jpg
20220523_171142.jpg
20220524_201927.jpg
20220524_202028.jpg

First, I will be honest, I know little about turkeys. How does the swelling feel—soft or hard? Can you look into the beak for any yellow or white material inside the beak or throat? Has there been any sneezing or bubbles in the eye?

First, I will be honest, I know little about turkeys. How does the swelling feel—soft or hard? Can you look into the beak for any yellow or white material inside the beak or throat? Has there been any sneezing or bubbles in the eye?
It feels softer but he's not a fan of me trying to touch it. I think more because he doesn't want me touching his face verses a pain related response. I'll look in his beak this evening when I get home from work. But he has no discharge from his nose or eyes. I've heard a couple sneezes but it doesn't seem to be more than before the swelling. Just the occasional sneeze that seems normal amount. No bubbles in his eyes.

Back
Top Bottom