Turkey with swollen face

gtokitty

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 28, 2011
Hey all,

My one tom turkey has some swelling on the left side of his head. I didn't notice it the other day. My bf took care of them yesterday, and I went out this morning and his face was swollen. I check them out EVERYDAY so Saturday it may have had minor swelling and I didn't notice. A very intelligent friend said it was probably sinusitis and i saw other photos online of it, but he has a bit more "face" swelling all over than the typical big bulbs right under the eye.... But here he is, let me know what you think. THanks in advance.
This is the "normal" side of his face

Now the swollen side.

Ty for your response. He is eating and drinking fine and his stool is normal. Well formed not runny, nothing unusual about it. As for strange smell not that I noticed when I was in his face taking pictures. No discharges, sneezing, coughing, weezing. Just the puffy face

Helloo, upon opening his mouth there was a small ulcer on the roof of his mouth near the edge of his beak. He was being processed soon anyway I just wanted to know some opinions. We processed him today and all his organs checked out perfect. Colors were good in everything no ulcering on intestines. Ty tho. I do have one with some sinusitis after examining the whole flock. He is a young tom any idea what to do about that? Treatment? I'm in Ontario Canada so antibiotics aren't easy to find or get.

I do have a younger turkey with sinusitus as we have noticed today after giving the whole flock an aggressive check over. He has no discharge, runny nose, eating fine drinking fine.... any suggestions? I'm in Ontario so I can't just go out and get antibiotics from anywhere..... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

Helloo, upon opening his mouth there was a small ulcer on the roof of his mouth near the edge of his beak. He was being processed soon anyway I just wanted to know some opinions. We processed him today and all his organs checked out perfect. Colors were good in everything no ulcering on intestines. Ty tho. I do have one with some sinusitis after examining the whole flock. He is a young tom any idea what to do about that? Treatment? I'm in Ontario Canada so antibiotics aren't easy to find or get.

Ok. What antibiotics are available to you?

I looked today and I didn't see it wasn't swelled up today. Is it something that goes up and down? They live outside most of the time the shelter they have isn't insulated yet and its a steel 8x4 shed. I bring them inside every night and let them back out in the morning. Rain or shine or we know what pent up board turkeys get into....... TROUBLE

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]I have a small amount of powdered Tylan. (might be wrong spelling) its a strong poultry antibiotic). I aquired it from Syble. She hasn't had a turkey with sinusitis before.

I just checked today (Friday) and I was looking at the wrong turkey. His face is still puffy. I checked in his mouth and nothing in there. No discharge from nose or eyes. When he peeps it does sound like maybe his nose might be clogged up. His lungs sound clear no weezing, coughing. He's not shaking his head or anything like that either.

Last edited:
If your turkey had sinusitis, I don't think that the swelling would go up and down. Maybe it's not respiratory or sinus problems. I would monitor it for now. It's good that you have Tylan on hand. How is he today?

Back
Top Bottom