Swollen face on one side

thebirdgirl

Chirping
15 Years
Apr 16, 2008
Northeast, MA
My friend has a small flock and noticed yesterday that one of her chickens was swollen on one side of her face. She said the swelling feels firm, otherwise the chicken seems to be acting OK. Any ideas? Thanks!

IMG_5018.jpeg
IMG_5017.jpeg

Can you open the beak and look inside with a light for any growths inside? Is there a bad odor? Can you see bubbles or drainage in the eye? It is possible that there could be canker, a respiratory sinus infection, or even a tumor. It looks like the others may have pecked at the skin or she has scratched herself on the face. Canker can cause yellow to gray plaques inside the beak and throat. It smell bad as well. Tumors can be common. Have you heard any sneezing or crackles in breathing?

I thought it may be canker but her mouth looks clear. It also smells normal. There is a tiny yellow plaque on the roof of her mouth but it’s not near the swollen area. She can’t open the eye at all on that side, but if I open her eyelid I can see down in there and it looks clear. She doesn’t have any drainage, sneezing or cold symptoms. The skin looks pretty thinned out, probably from the pressure of whatever is going on underneath the skin. It has little scabs maybe from rubbing or pecking.

Back
Top Bottom