Chicken swollen face

Mrsmallari

In the Brooder
Dec 18, 2023
Hi there! One of my girls has a swollen face and is walking around really slowly. Not sure what’s going on here 😩 can swollen face be from being egg bound? Definitely not acting like her normal self.
IMG_7691.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7690.jpeg
    IMG_7690.jpeg
    672.3 KB · Views: 6
Do you have a shot of her other side so we can compare?

What other symptoms does she have that you're thinking she's egg-bound? How old is that pretty hen by the way?

If you suspect egg-bound, it's serious and you have to act fast by giving her a calcium pill right into her beak.

Swelling in the face can be from a respiratory or sinus infection. Have you seen bubbles in one eye, nasal drainage, crackles while breathing, sneezing, or mucus from the nostrils or beak? Are there any peck marks near the swelling?

Do you have a shot of her other side so we can compare?

What other symptoms does she have that you're thinking she's egg-bound? How old is that pretty hen by the way?

If you suspect egg-bound, it's serious and you have to act fast by giving her a calcium pill right into her beak.
She hasn’t layed in a couple days but i think that’s just because she isn’t feeling well. Just since she isn’t walking around like normal. She’s 10 months. Both sides of her face are the same. Poor baby 😫 i can get another photo

Swelling in the face can be from a respiratory or sinus infection. Have you seen bubbles in one eye, nasal drainage, crackles while breathing, sneezing, or mucus from the nostrils or beak? Are there any peck marks near the swelling?
No bubbles or nasal drainage a little bit of crackling while breathing. No peck marks. She ate some scrambled eggs i made her and is drinking a ton of water.

What treatments would you recommend? Probably still keep her separated from flock right?
@Eggcessive is more knowledgeable than I am about treating this, but can you get some Terramycin ointment? Farm and pet stores should have it. I'd put that in her eyes twice a day. The eyes are connected to the sinuses so this should help the sinus infection.

If you have VetRX, that's only Vicks for chickens, but I hear a lot of folks put a few drops under each wing and some right above their nostrils. It doesn't cure anything but helps them like Vicks does humans.

Back
Top Bottom