please tell me what’s wrong with my silkies face!

Chickensrule69

Chirping
Feb 26, 2023
Down south
i was checking on my broody hen today and i saw one of my youngest silkie roos with some brown red stuff on his face i didn’t know what it was or is and now i’m here 😭 i first thought poop because he’s slept where the poop is then i thought blood but where’s the wound? i didn’t see one them i thought illness because my chickens have gotten sick before and they’re faces have swollen but his face isn’t swollen so can someone attempt or tell me what’s wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_8978.jpeg
    IMG_8978.jpeg
    391.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8979.jpeg
    IMG_8979.jpeg
    521.8 KB · Views: 20
Oh jeez that looks painful. Maybe a wound that has become infected and spread or some sort of pox. Do any of your others have these symptoms? I would isolate him inside in a crate and try to encourage him to eat some scrambled eggs and drink some water. Check inside his mouth for lesions.

I think often respiratory illness once they have had it, it can remain dormant and pop up again in times of stress.

You could probably try to clean up his face a little with cotton balls soaked in warm saline to get a better sense of any wounds. His eye looks really irritated too.

Do you have access to a vet?

@Eggcessive is really good with this sort of thing hopefully they can give you some better advice.

i was checking on my broody hen today and i saw one of my youngest silkie roos with some brown red stuff on his face i didn’t know what it was or is and now i’m here 😭 i first thought poop because he’s slept where the poop is then i thought blood but where’s the wound? i didn’t see one them i thought illness because my chickens have gotten sick before and they’re faces have swollen but his face isn’t swollen so can someone attempt or tell me what’s wrong?
It's red mite in chickens try poultry power in his food or look up other products I've never experienced this in mine though poultry power has lots of antibiotics

Poor fella, those are some awful peck wounds. He is showing some green bruising as well. Who did that to him? Did he get near the broody and her eggs? Is there another rooster? He is lucky that his eye is intact.

Back
Top Bottom