Lethargic chicken, face lump, green/blue poop

Alekaa

Hatching
Dec 19, 2022
Australia
I have a Silkie pullet that a bought a month ago and since I got her she had a few issues. I treated her for worms.
She had some respiratory disease that she just recovered and she had some blood in her poop and a treated her for coccidiosis with Amprolium for 3 days orally dose.
She seems ok but I notice that in the last three day she is sleeping a lot and I saw a little blood dot in her face and thought she might got peaked in the face for my other chichen but that area now is very swollen. Her eye on that side looks fine but she is been keeping that one closed most of the time.
I don’t know if it could be a ear infection or something else.
She still eating food when I offer to her.
Any ideia what could be her problem?

Attachments

• 9FC1B7F3-4486-4383-A698-B4B399446599.jpeg
    9FC1B7F3-4486-4383-A698-B4B399446599.jpeg
    559.4 KB · Views: 42
Your location please, and also the age of this chicken.

Have you checked in the ears? Is the swelling near the ear? Pull the ear flap back and with a strong light, peer into the ear hole. It should be clear and empty of any crusty buildup. It should resemble a clean pin hole. Check in both ears.

If you suspected coccidiosis, and it's a real possibility when you import a new chicken. The local coccidia may be a strain they aren't resistant to. But you should have treated for a full five days with the Corid water in addition to the three-day drench. Then a week after that round, you should have done another five days of the Corid water. If not, then start doing it. Cocciciosis is a killer of chickens.

If you find an ear full of gunk or if its swollen, it needs to be cleaned out as best you can and packed with a triple antibiotic ointment. The antibiotic Tylosin may also be necessary.

She looks to have a peck mark and scab on her ear as well. Check her ear as advised for a signs of infection. Help her eat and drink often since her eye is swollen and closed. She may just be swollen from being picked on, but if she is sick, then hopefully you can help her get healthy.

Your location please, and also the age of this chicken.

Have you checked in the ears? Is the swelling near the ear? Pull the ear flap back and with a strong light, peer into the ear hole. It should be clear and empty of any crusty buildup. It should resemble a clean pin hole. Check in both ears.

If you suspected coccidiosis, and it's a real possibility when you import a new chicken. The local coccidia may be a strain they aren't resistant to. But you should have treated for a full five days with the Corid water in addition to the three-day drench. Then a week after that round, you should have done another five days of the Corid water. If not, then start doing it. Cocciciosis is a killer of chickens.

If you find an ear full of gunk or if its swollen, it needs to be cleaned out as best you can and packed with a triple antibiotic ointment. The antibiotic Tylosin may also be necessary.
Thank you so much for answer.

I live in Queensland, Australia, my hen is around 19 weeks I believe.
I just checked her ears and doesn’t look have anything. The swelling is close to ear, the red in the photo is a bit of betadine that I put the night before when I saw that before.
Her eye apparently looks normal but she is been keeping close, she just open sometimes.
Today I noticed that she is having trouble eating she is missing the food and not holding the head straight when she try to eat.

I’ll treat her again for coccidiosis, I didn’t know that I should give the 5 days in water as well if I was gave her orally. I’ll repeat that then because I saw a bit of blood again in her poop a week later the treatment, I want to make sure she is over it.

Do you think it could be a bite of an insect, a bee or something like that?

I have a bit of Linco antibiotic that a lady from a farm gave to me to treat the respiratory infection that they had before.
Is that could be useful for that?

Obs: Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language.

She looks to have a peck mark and scab on her ear as well. Check her ear as advised for a signs of infection. Help her eat and drink often since her eye is swollen and closed. She may just be swollen from being picked on, but if she is sick, then hopefully you can help her get healthy.
I’m making sure she is eating and I’ve been given her some probiotic and vitamins to help.
I started today to treat her again for coccidiosis because I haven’t done the treatment correctly, she could be lethargic because of that or just because of this swelling in her face that I’m not sure what is and how to treat.
Because of the way she is eating now and her eye shut, she might be in pain.

So, she is from the same farm where the woman used lincomycin to treat a respiratory infection in her flock? If so, then the swelling of the eyelid and ear might be from MG. Lincomycin and spectinomycin is a combo that can be used to treat MG. Is that what you have? Do you have a picture of the label? Lincomycin by itself will not work. I am not familiar with dosage. If you see and bubbles in her eye or sneezing, it might be good to use that. If the swelling is from pecking, it might be best to just give the amprollium for coccidiosis. I wouldn’t give both in her water, probably just the coccidiosis treatment.

She had some respiratory disease that she just recovered and she had some blood in her poop and a treated her for coccidiosis with Amprolium for 3 days orally dose.
She seems ok but I notice that in the last three day she is sleeping a lot and I saw a little blood dot in her face and thought she might got peaked in the face for my other chichen but that area now is very swollen. Her eye on that side looks fine but she is been keeping that one closed most of the time.
I don’t know if it could be a ear infection or something else.

Today I noticed that she is having trouble eating she is missing the food and not holding the head straight when she try to eat.

I’ll treat her again for coccidiosis, I didn’t know that I should give the 5 days in water as well if I was gave her orally. I’ll repeat that then because I saw a bit of blood again in her poop a week later the treatment, I want to make sure she is over it.

I have a bit of Linco antibiotic that a lady from a farm gave to me to treat the respiratory infection that they had before.
You mention she had respiratory disease and the lady from the farm you got her from gave you medication. Did the lady say the name of the disease?

Can you look inside her beak for any mucous, canker or yellow pasty material just to be sure there's nothing going on in there?

She's having a hard time eating, she's missing the food and not holding her head straight. I'd start giving her 400IU Vitamin E and a little egg daily to help with that. When you finish the Amprolium (Corid) dosing, start giving 1/4 tablet B-Complex as well. (Don't give the B-Complex when using Corid/Amprolium since it may cancel the effectiveness of the medication).

Work on her drinking, if she's not drinking the medicated water, then you'll want to syringe it into her several times a day.

Silkies seem to be more prone to having neurological problems, so hopefully the Vitamin E will be helpful. I'd keep her on a Chick Starter or All Flock feed (18-20% protein) at least until she comes into lay.

Just to be sure, that's Betadine on the ear, not a scab? I do agree, it looks like there's infection there. Take another look inside the ear and check that swelling again for a scab/peck mark.

Does she have lice or mites?

1708271812967.jpeg

So, she is from the same farm where the woman used lincomycin to treat a respiratory infection in her flock? If so, then the swelling of the eyelid and ear might be from MG. Lincomycin and spectinomycin is a combo that can be used to treat MG. Is that what you have? Do you have a picture of the label? Lincomycin by itself will not work. I am not familiar with dosage. If you see and bubbles in her eye or sneezing, it might be good to use that. If the swelling is from pecking, it might be best to just give the amprollium for coccidiosis. I wouldn’t give both in her water, probably just the coccidiosis treatment.
No she came from a different place.
I messaged this lady in a Facebook group about chickens in my town. She has more then 400 chickens, so she buys in bulk and she gave me a little bit to treat my two chickens.
I don’t have the label but she said the name was Linco Spectum.
About the swelling, the first time I saw it seems like it was a pecking, I just find strange that area had no feathers as had before, I thought could be something in her skin, next day was swelling like that.
For coccidiosis do you recommend I give in water + orally? I’m not sure if she is drink much water recently, I have a 2 month old baby, unfortunately I’m not having much time to be watching her.

Back
Top Bottom