Turkey with twisted wings?

widelacing

In the Brooder
May 18, 2016
Oak Harbor, WA
One of my broad breasted bronze toms seems to have angel wings. I have seen this in ducks but did not know that it was a risk for turkeys. Since he is not a bird I am going to keep anyway, I am not really distressed about it, but I would like to know how I can prevent this from happening to my breeding Narragansetts, since it developed after he was already half grown. Here is an image:

Thank you!

I have not seen this on grown turkeys, I have seen the tip of the wings come out like that on younger ones but after a while the wing tip returns to normal.

One of my broad breasted bronze toms seems to have angel wings. I have seen this in ducks but did not know that it was a risk for turkeys. Since he is not a bird I am going to keep anyway, I am not really distressed about it, but I would like to know how I can prevent this from happening to my breeding Narragansetts, since it developed after he was already half grown. Here is an image:

Thank you!

I had a Blue Slate tom that also developed that last year around the same age as your tom. He did grow out of it by the time he was 6 months old. It was the first time that I had seen this in a Blue Slate and the first time I had seen it at that age in any turkey.

I did remove him from passing it along to any descendants and he was delicious.

From what I've been told, that is caused by his feathers growing faster than the rest of him, could be a sign he didn't eat enough as a poult or that he didn't get enough protein. As others have said, I believe he will grow out of it.

Too much protein, I understand angel wing... but mine came out of the egg like that!? they already had feathers growing and were twisted... andy ansers for that ?

Thanks

(Bourbon and Blue Slate)

Too much protein, I understand angel wing... but mine came out of the egg like that!? they already had feathers growing and were twisted... andy ansers for that ?

Thanks

(Bourbon and Blue Slate)

While high protein may be thought to cause angel wing in ducks, there is no evidence that high protein causes angel wing in turkeys. There is anecdotal evidence to support that it occurs in male poults of some varieties of turkeys but not in the hens. I have seen it quite commonly in Bourbon Red poults but extremely rare in Blue Slate poults.

If yours came out of the egg with twisted feathers (that is not angel wing), it is either bad genetics or a combination of bad genetics and poor feed of the laying hens.

My male Bourbon Red had wings that stuck out like that. This is a pic of him about a month or so ago, and now it is almost entirely gone. Someone else posted that they thought that they just grow so fast it happens. Mine seems to have outgrown it. Now, coming out of the egg like that, I don't know. This happened later.

Back
Top Bottom