Turkeys and Chickens

fresheggs4u

Songster
12 Years
Dec 6, 2007
I have been thinking about getting a turkey to add to my flock. I have about 20 plymouth rock pullets and two roosters. Can I add a turkey? I have found some royal palm turkeys four months old for $10. Will they be big enought for the holidays? At what age do you normally slaughter turkeys?

Try posting in the Turkey forum. You might get more replies.
smile.png

I have a couple of turkeys in my flock. They do just fine with the chickens. They also do a great job of alerting danger. My neighbor processes her birds when they are about 6 months old, I think. I've never been able to do the deed after raising them, because they just have the best personalities, so I buy one from her when she's done with all the butchering and such. Good luck! $10 each is an excellent deal!!!

I had a turkey I raised with my chickens last year and it went just fine. I think they're great to have around the yard. I love to watch the fanning displays and of course hearing them gobble. I have only had the one, a BBB, so I'm not sure if a royal palm will be big enough by the holidays, but it's possible. The person you really want to hear from on this is Steve of Sands Poultry. He seems to always have great advice and he knows his turkeys!

Back
Top Bottom