Turkeys and chickens

FarmalI

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 14, 2013
I am wanting to raise a few turkeys with my chickens, what thoughts can you give me?
Ive heard ya you can raise them together, and ive also heard you cant.

I wouldn't. This is because chickens are carriers of a disease known as blackhead which does not affect them but if turkeys pick it up off them it can be fatal. It attacks the liver I believe and is quite hard to treat. Keeping the two has been done succesfully but I for one wouldn't risk it.

I've never done it, but we had a neighbor who did. From what I've heard raising them in different areas until they are grown should be fine, once they are grown put them together should be fine. But like I said I don't have any experience, just what I've seen and heard.

ok, because that was one of the big things was the disease. I have a uncle who has tried and tried but they keep dying, but then i have a cousin who has had turkeys and chickens together for years.

Thats the thing. Some chickens have the black head disease and some don't so you would be taking a big risk going ahead with it. Maybe try a couple of turkeys to start off with and see how it works out

ok, thanks,,, what about if they never came in contact with chickens, would they be fine?

I raise my turkeys and chickens together without issue. Some separate them later due to bullying. Chickens are actually great for turkeys as turkeys tend to be stupid and chickens educate them. I recommend mixing for that reason; some say five chickens to one turkey but my chicken are at a higher ratio.

not trying to pry, but where do you live, like what climate are they in?

Im in southwest Missouri, people talk about the disease, is there any tips you have to help to prevent it?

Back
Top Bottom