1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkeys and Peafowl...

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by kiaya611, Apr 18, 2007.

1. kiaya611

kiaya611 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Lebanon, OR
    Hello,

I have been given the opportunity to hatch out some turkey and peafowl eggs and I already have chickens. I am wondering if they will get along or if I will have to alway keep them separated? I have 42, 9 and 8 week old chickens now and will have 12 turkey eggs and 2 peafowl eggs. Of course there is the possibliity that they won't hatch, but assuming that they do, I thought it would be nice additions to my super "mini-farm".

Do any of you have experience with these species and their living together? I would appreciate your input.

Thank you,

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    ive got turkeys an chickens togather.an the coexist fine togather.i dont have any probs with them at all.i had peacocks but they ended up getting killed by varmitts.so i dont know how theyd got along with the hens an turkeys.

3. Finch

Finch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2007
    I have had chickens and peafowl free ranging for years. Each breed seems to largely ignore the other except when a chicken hen has very young chicks with her. Then the peahens will peck at the little chicks.

Francie in western NY

4. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I have my turkeys and chickens mingling together, and for the most part, they ignore each other. My turkeys will get a little territorial sometimes, but nothing serious. I have a turkey hen with poults right now, and she leads them around the chickens without a problem. My OEGB roo seems to think he's their protector. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by