Turkeys fighting

They have finally gone home. My mother-in-law said the one was fluffed up and proud and the other looked defeated but neither looked too worse for wear.

Since they're free range do you have any suggestions on separating them?
Glad they didn't beat each other up too bad. If they get along for the most part after they have sorted their pecking order out, they may be fine together. Just watch them. If there are no other turkeys they may get depressed by themselves.

If you choose the fight it out method just know they can potentially kill each other. My friend lost a gorgeous Sweetgrass yearling Tom to his older Tom a couple of weeks ago. The younger Tom "got too big for his britches" and was trying to mate the older and dominant Tom's hens. They fought it out and the younger Tom was killed.
It is very unusual for toms to fight to the death. The only thing I can think of is that a major artery or vein could have gotten nicked.

Only bad things happen when you keep multiple toms in with a flock of hens during breediing season. It is usually hens that get injured or killed.

It is very unusual for toms to fight to the death. The only thing I can think of is that a major artery or vein could have gotten nicked.

Only bad things happen when you keep multiple toms in with a flock of hens during breediing season. It is usually hens that get injured or killed.
Yeah a major bleed, or heat or exhaustion from fighting in my friends case? He has a very large group of hens Im guessing is why he let the two toms stay together with them. So sad. I would love to have a Tom so beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom