Turkeys For 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else seen "My Life as a Turkey?" It was a PBS Nature documentary. (I think you can see it free on their website or get the disc from Netflix.) It's about a naturalist who specializes in imprinting and his experience hatching & raising wild turkeys. A bit over-dramatized at times, but good. Thought it was funny how he kept stressing that these behaviors were for wild turkeys only and their domestic cousins are nothing like them. Frankly, I didn't see much of a difference. Maybe between them and their commercial cousins, but our heritage turkeys behave quite similar. Very smart birds.

Last edited:
Uphilljill I have not seen the movie. I will look for it. Thanks.

Here is a couple pics of my lone baby it is 3 months old. I am hoping it is a jenny.

Last edited:
Check out my growing Turkey poults ;) any guesses on breed? We may have to wait till they grow up Lol

About one month old ;)

Has anyone else seen "My Life as a Turkey?" It was a PBS Nature documentary. (I think you can see it free on their website or get the disc from Netflix.) It's about a naturalist who specializes in imprinting and his experience hatching & raising wild turkeys. A bit over-dramatized at times, but good. Thought it was funny how he kept stressing that these behaviors were for wild turkeys only and their domestic cousins are nothing like them. Frankly, I didn't see much of a difference. Maybe between them and their commercial cousins, but our heritage turkeys behave quite similar. Very smart birds.

I seen this and it was very interesting to me because I had just gotten my first turkeys. Since then I also have been seeing the same similarities in their behavior as their wild cousins.

Uphilljill I have not seen the movie. I will look for it. Thanks.

Here is a couple pics of my lone baby it is 3 months old. I am hoping it is a jenny.

It is a cute little one! What are you looking at to say it is a girl. (I am trying to learn) I have 3 that I am not real sure what they are but I am thinking 2 boys and not sure about the other one. I am thinking boys just base on behavior but have no clue what else to be looking for yet. They are about 5 months old.

I did see that post but still don't know what I am really looking at yet!
hide.gif
Maybe if I post some pictures you could help me? If my luck is the same as chickens, they are probably all boys. LOL

Maybe you will get lucky and if the hen feels safe maybe she will lay some eggs for you...
My 2 hens laid 2 sets of eggs each. But they werent interested in raising the second set. I thought it a bit unusual for them to lay eggs a second time when the first set of poults was only about 6wks old. THey hatched 1/2 of the eggs, 1/2 were hatched in the incubator. Didnt make any difference - they didn't want any of the new chicks!?
idunno.gif
Those poults just turned 3 months yesterday. They still follow me around & holler to be fed every time they see me. I look like the pied piper with all the chickens & turkeys following me
lau.gif
. The turkey poults have only just recently quit flying onto mmy shoulders in the evening thinking that's the roosting place for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom