Turkeys For 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL...Thanks! So girls tend to be the very nosey ones? They all are nosey but this one especially is under my feet and in my face where ever I go! I will get the videos uploaded tonight and hopefully have some daylight left to take some pictures when I get home. So at least one girl! Yay!
big_smile.png
My girls are definitely the nosy ones. The two toms tend to hang back unless there is a confirmed food sighting.

Quote:
In some breeds (Bronze, Narragansett and some of the wilds) you can tell by the adult breast feathers.. they have a black edge (tip) on the males.. females have either brown tips or tan

Bourbon red toms have a black line (not the very tip but back a smidge) and the jennys have a white line.. please note.. the line is very faint and is not on the very edge of the breast feathers (all bourbon reds tend to have a white tip on the edge of the feathers as juvis).. the black/white line is back about 1/16" from the edge and is pretty faint..

to the best of my knowledge there isn't a way to feather sex palms..

you CAN create a sexlinked turkey... never tried it myself though.. but I have heard if you breed a bronze hen to a narragansett tom.. all of the male poults will be bronze and all the females will be narragansett...

What do you get if breeding royal palm tom to blue slate hens?? I started my first turkeys with 4 RP and two BS poults in May. Now I have 3 RP toms, one RP jenny and the two BS are jennys. The BS were supposed to be for eating and the RP for breeding, isn't quite working out the way I hoped.

In some breeds (Bronze, Narragansett and some of the wilds) you can tell by the adult breast feathers.. they have a black edge (tip) on the males.. females have either brown tips or tan

Bourbon red toms have a black line (not the very tip but back a smidge) and the jennys have a white line.. please note.. the line is very faint and is not on the very edge of the breast feathers (all bourbon reds tend to have a white tip on the edge of the feathers as juvis).. the black/white line is back about 1/16" from the edge and is pretty faint..

you CAN create a sexlinked turkey... never tried it myself though.. but I have heard if you breed a bronze hen to a narragansett tom.. all of the male poults will be bronze and all the females will be narragansett...
Thanks yinepu. I will go look at her breast feathers and see what colors they are.
I read on Porters site that the females will be lighter than the males when mixed with the bronze. Does anyone know what my black spanish hen will produce if she mates with my MW? Both colors are dominate.

My 2 hens laid 2 sets of eggs each. But they werent interested in raising the second set. I thought it a bit unusual for them to lay eggs a second time when the first set of poults was only about 6wks old. THey hatched 1/2 of the eggs, 1/2 were hatched in the incubator. Didnt make any difference - they didn't want any of the new chicks!?
idunno.gif
Those poults just turned 3 months yesterday. They still follow me around & holler to be fed every time they see me. I look like the pied piper with all the chickens & turkeys following me
lau.gif
. The turkey poults have only just recently quit flying onto mmy shoulders in the evening thinking that's the roosting place for them.
BJ all my turkey so far have been very tame and want to be held. The only ones that shy away are the blue slates for some reason. But the Narri's fly to land on my shoulder or where ever they can also. I love it so much. I keep feed in two free feeders that each hold about 25 # of feed. Like you would make for deer. I would love to see some pics of your babies following you around. They are so adorable.

A piebald--- oh wait, that is horses! .. . . . .

In my chickens, I have dom white and red leaks thru on the girls; in the male he started white and black flecks appeared until the saddle area is mostly black wit red leakage.( He carries, red, black and dom white--)DOn't know if this works in turkeys.
I guess I will see what if anything comes of it. My Black Spanish hen wanted in the run with big bird she has cried for him for over a month and I did want to breed her to my Narri but she was so so unhappy that my DH moved her to be with Big Bird our MW. They all seem happy so I guess we will see where this goes. lol

Here is a couple pics of her still trying to see her breast. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom