Turkeys For 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm in the process of (maybe) hatching turkeys for the first time. They were scheduled to hatch 5/25 but just started moving around today. One of them had a HUGE t shaped crack and when I went to check them a little while ago (about 6hrs after first crack) it had started oozing what looks like really thick yolk. Do I leave it alone, try to help it, or just chuck it? I have no idea what to do! There is a tiny bit of the ooze in the bottom of the 'bator and a long streak on the egg but no more is coming out. Did the little guy just push too hard too early or is it gonna blow up? There is no odor or anything. HEEELP!!!

Hey guys, I'm in the process of (maybe) hatching turkeys for the first time. They were scheduled to hatch 5/25 but just started moving around today. One of them had a HUGE t shaped crack and when I went to check them a little while ago (about 6hrs after first crack) it had started oozing what looks like really thick yolk. Do I leave it alone, try to help it, or just chuck it? I have no idea what to do! There is a tiny bit of the ooze in the bottom of the 'bator and a long streak on the egg but no more is coming out. Did the little guy just push too hard too early or is it gonna blow up? There is no odor or anything. HEEELP!!!

I would defiantly candle the eggs that is Not normal. The egg could be ready to burst,

I would defiantly candle the eggs that is Not normal. The egg could be ready to burst,
Problem is, these eggs have such a thick shell and membrane, I have not been able to see anything except a dark shadow/mass. Either none of them developed at all and I have 19 rotten eggs tap dancing in my bator, or I am just not experienced enough at candling. Also, there is no odor, and I would think if it was rotten it wouldn't have been moving, right?

Problem is, these eggs have such a thick shell and membrane, I have not been able to see anything except a dark shadow/mass. Either none of them developed at all and I have 19 rotten eggs tap dancing in my bator, or I am just not experienced enough at candling. Also, there is no odor, and I would think if it was rotten it wouldn't have been moving, right?

First it sounds like you need a brighter light, turkey eggs shouldn't be that hard to see into. Make sure you have the room totally dark too, that helps a lot. What have your temps and humidity been during the first 18 days, did you put them in "lockdown" and raise the humidity? They are already way late which could mean they are also going to be weak. What incubator are you using? You could always float the ones that aren't pipped/cracked, but you have to be Very careful about water temp and not letting them chill after you take them out of the water.

I would think that egg would definitely smell. I'd probably remove it. Are the eggs dark shelled? I use a flash light and can easily see. Is the egg dark except at the bottom, can you see some light? If you try to candle, close the bator after taking the egg out just incase it does decide to explode. I'd also probably leave the eggs for another day or so just in case there was some error in the hatch date. I have eggs just now pecking through, should have been a couple of days ago but probably was my mistake on when I put them in as it's crazy town here. Good luck sue

Yay one hatched

wee.gif

Quote: I agree with Zoo and Sally, the white ish shells of the turkeys make them easy to see. Perhaps you are seeing "white" as notheing is growing, or they are completely blocking the light because the poults are so big.

DO you have another egg you can play with, say one fresh from the hen?? SHould be able to see the shadow of the yolk inside as the light will pass thru the whites/albumen. Have you looked at chandling pics for comparison??

Quote: I agree with Zoo and Sally, the white ish shells of the turkeys make them easy to see. Perhaps you are seeing "white" as notheing is growing, or they are completely blocking the light because the poults are so big.

DO you have another egg you can play with, say one fresh from the hen?? SHould be able to see the shadow of the yolk inside as the light will pass thru the whites/albumen. Have you looked at chandling pics for comparison??
PS. If the egg is oozing, it is not building up pressure so it will not explode; I remove leaky eggs.

Ok, bit of an emergency, and I need some seasoned advice. I have a friend of my dad's who brought me about ten fertile (keeping fingers crossed, and the hen had been on them) turkey eggs. I don't have an incubator, but I put them under my chickens. Went online, checked BYC, and got varied results on whether chickens will hatch turkey eggs. Got the entire spectrum, some saying that their chickens hatched out turkeys better than turkey hens or their incubators, and some who got duds. My hens have been on and off broody, and I don't know if they will even try. Any comments?

THe must be in broody mode!! I have several that don't leave the nest boxes and hog the space.

Duds can be for a number of reasons, and not the fault of the hen.

WHat do you have to lose if you don't have an incubator?? Or run out and get one!!

THe must be in broody mode!! I have several that don't leave the nest boxes and hog the space.

Duds can be for a number of reasons, and not the fault of the hen.

WHat do you have to lose if you don't have an incubator?? Or run out and get one!!
x2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom