Turkeys For 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering what is a fair price for young hen turkeys. I have a couple of people call me wanting 2 or 3 hens. Just hens! Well, one might want a tom. People wanting just hens should expect to pay more, don't you think? If I sell any of the Lavender hens I got from Porter, I already have $12 each in those since that was his poult price. I don't think I will sell any of my other Porter hens, those I will keep but I have extra Lavender. I am thinking $30 for hens. They are almost 3 months old. Feed has become so expensive and I feed only organic which costs me $29/bag plus the fish meal I add in to boost the protein. I am the one having to raise them all out, old enough to sex, then people want to pick just the hens without taking the risk themselves of raising a bunch of poults to get hens---maybe! That is just another $20 over my poult price, less than $7/month! Looking at it that way, doesn't seem that much to me, but people always want a bargain. Don't know if $30 is too high or not. Opinions?

Good question! I've been wondering the same thing myself. Only I kinda thought people would prefer a Tom as they'd most likely be bigger.
When I bought my poults last year they all turned into three toms. I purchased a lone hen from a farmer near me for 20. Then purchased two more from another for 30 each then one more for 25. Depending one size of you're birds 20-35 is the price to go with. Although some rare breeds will go for higher

The post office is finally going to pay me for delivering half of my turkeys dead! The remaining turkeys, most of them died off, and they smelled like the dead ones. At least I have four left from that bunch, but all the BR's died, so, still no BRs. I got these from Heritage/Plum Run. My Porter's turkeys, only two died, but those were the extras. All of them arrived in the heat of summer, but those Plum Runs were dead for days.

I,m glad you got them to pay for them.
Its tricky to find the best time of the year to have Fowl sent to you by mail order
I got started ordering my Fowl Poults and Chicks being sent to me the first week of April just becouse I have had good luck with that time of the year and so far had none DOA thats not to say I dident have a few in the days following end up not making it but thats exspected all the way up to adult.
I order twice as much as I think I need or want and if I get more than I need or want get near adult I will sell on CL or as CELIE states send to freezer camp.
Poults in genreal are very fragil and some times hard to keep alive I was lucky very lucky I order 15 got 18 BR poults and only one died.
Some of the Toms went to freezer camp and some sold as adults I still have more Toms than I want 5 Toms and 7 Hens.

My aunt had a pair, and they chased my brother and me mercilessly when we went over to her house as children. We always hopped out of the car and ran straight to the door of her house to outrun the geese and not get our behinds nipped. They were fine with adults, but I guess since we were their size they viewed us as rivals ;) are you getting goslings? Hand raised birds should be tame and not nearly as bad tempered as "Peep" and "Big Wad" were. Though I hear breeding season for geese makes them more aggressive than normal. I would love to get some geese at some point though. An ornamental breed like Sebastopols would match with my silkies :)

Snapped a pict of my little chocolate turkey last night... is it me or is there too much white in the wing feathers?
I also have a chocolate turkey poulet; mine is quite a bit younger than yours. Mine will be a month old on the 14th. I'm pretty sure mine is a female as it's brother was wrapping his wing around her yesterday & a pecking her head! My chocolate poulet came from 2 BR's and is the ONLY chocolate turkey hatched from my pair of BR's. She does have white wing tips.

Sally8: love your Avatar. I'd like to have a dog like that to protect my flock!

jchny2000 & Racinchickins: I see your both from Indiana. I'm a transplanted Hoosier. Just a little bit south of Marion IN.

Oh my baby turkeys are doing baby struts! How adorable. they hold their wings down, one wing will come out to the side and go over the female. this is just too cute!
love.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom