Turkeys, guineas, ducks, and chickens question

Finge

Chirping
Dec 30, 2016
Soo...Finge did a dumb. I recently found a turkey breeder who was giving me turkey eggs. I got 6 turkey eggs and a bonus of a dozen guinea eggs. The day AFTER I got them, the breeder asked if I also wanted ducklings, since her ducks were going broody, she could not give me eggs, but a promise of ducklings she had in the incubator. I said yes. oops.

So, the question is, can ALL of these birds exist together as adults? Can I feed them all the same feed? (Most likely high in protein for the turkeys).

Some things I already know about keeping them together:
  • I can't and won't keep drakes with my chickens, so just lady ducks for me!
  • Guinea need to be locked up for a few weeks in their coop so they'll stay there, they are also big jerks to chickens, and ill probably need to keep them in my spare coop.
  • I know about black head, and the breeder is a local in my area, and she says her turkeys and chickens exist together happily.
  • I cannot mix ducklings in with any of the other fowl because they become too messy.

Some other things I want to know, can I raise guinea and turkey together, or are guineas just to small?
I have an actual coop for my babies, could I manage keeping ducks and turkey/guinea together as babies that way, or is it best to just keep them separate?

Soo...Finge did a dumb. I recently found a turkey breeder who was giving me turkey eggs. I got 6 turkey eggs and a bonus of a dozen guinea eggs. The day AFTER I got them, the breeder asked if I also wanted ducklings, since her ducks were going broody, she could not give me eggs, but a promise of ducklings she had in the incubator. I said yes. oops.

So, the question is, can ALL of these birds exist together as adults? Can I feed them all the same feed? (Most likely high in protein for the turkeys).

Some things I already know about keeping them together:
  • I can't and won't keep drakes with my chickens, so just lady ducks for me!
  • Guinea need to be locked up for a few weeks in their coop so they'll stay there, they are also big jerks to chickens, and ill probably need to keep them in my spare coop.
  • I know about black head, and the breeder is a local in my area, and she says her turkeys and chickens exist together happily.
  • I cannot mix ducklings in with any of the other fowl because they become too messy.

Some other things I want to know, can I raise guinea and turkey together, or are guineas just to small?
I have an actual coop for my babies, could I manage keeping ducks and turkey/guinea together as babies that way, or is it best to just keep them separate?
I recommend that you raise and coop the guineas separately. If you do it this way, the guineas will not imprint with any of the other poultry and when they are adults they will leave the others alone and will keep their guinea ways to themselves.

If you brood them all separately, they will all get along better as adults.

The guineas and turkeys need a high protein turkey/gamebird starter for their proper growth and development. At least one person, @casportpony gives this same feed to her ducklings because the ducklings need the higher niacin content just like the keets and poults need it.

As adults the guineas and turkeys can do fine on a quality layer feed or all flock feed that is at least 16% protein. I do give my guineas 20% protein layer pellets. My turkeys get the same 16% layer pellets that my chickens get although either the 16% protein layer pellets or the 20% protein layer pellets would be fine for all of them.

You can keep drakes with hens,have never had a drake mate a hen as long as he has duck hens available.

From reading,turkeys and guineas shouldn’t be raised together because males try to mate with the chickens and guineas tend to bully chickens.

Back
Top Bottom