Turkeys not breeding need advice

Saskfarmgirl

Chirping
11 Years
Feb 27, 2012
Saskatchewan, Canada
I have a blue slate hen that I got last year who is now just over a year old. I managed to purchase a blue slate Tom who is the same age this May. I have seen him try to do his job when she squats for him but ever time he stands on top of her she just gets up. I was thinking of trimming his nails to see if that might help. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

If its any consolation I incubated 8 eggs from our 2 standard bronze hens. I had no idea if we would be successful as I only saw our Royal Palm tom (Thomas) breed with Mrs Grey, but i was only seeing Mrs Brown lay eggs!

The whole mating performance would take forever! I checked out some youtube videos of wild turkeys performing it and it looks exactly the same and can take up to 15 minutes! Oh Boy!
They never got broody though :-(

anyway, long and short of it is....we hatched 3 healthy poults! they are now 7 weeks old and growing really very well.

We have been harvesting eggs again and popped another 9 into the incubator just a few days ago. I have no idea who laid them or if they are infertile :-/

well, hope that helps you some :)

I was just thinking perhaps its his nails digging in that are making her push him off.

I don't believe so. only you can tell whats really going on at the time though by your observations.

Turkeys are made the way they are for a reason.
My girls are quite choosy about when the tom mates with them. sometimes they will squat down next to me but do not appreciate his advances. other times they just get on with it.

she waits patiently whilst he stomps all over her until she is breathless. its only when she shrieks that they make contact and then its all over. The hens response afterwards usually tells where it was a 'hit' or a 'miss'.

Thanks hopefully they manage to breed for me this year yet. I caught her laying on some eggs this morning but last time she did that I put them in the incubator and had no development .

Update:
Yesterday my Tom actually managed to get up on top, balance and stomp around for awhile but no penetration cause she didn't squawk. Once he got off of her it was quite entertaining because she started strutting her stuff trying to convince him she was male and he actually almost believed it and was going to challenge her to a fight. Silly turkeys but at least they are getting closer to doing the deed.

Update:
Yesterday my Tom actually managed to get up on top, balance and stomp around for awhile but no penetration cause she didn't squawk. Once he got off of her it was quite entertaining because she started strutting her stuff trying to convince him she was male and he actually almost believed it and was going to challenge her to a fight. Silly turkeys but at least they are getting closer to doing the deed.

:yuckyuck

Back
Top Bottom