Turkeys possibly attacked, no visible injuries, droopy and lethargic with closed eyes

EstlHope

Hatching
Sep 1, 2022
Hello all,

We are first time turkey owners and have 8 heritage breed turkeys that are about 4 months old. We also have chickens, in case it matters. We keep them in electric netting that is regularly rotated on pasture. They have a tractor for food/water with roosts inside, plus a large roosting structure outside where they prefer to sleep most of the time. We are currently feeding them a locally milled 20% protein feed with grit (but not oyster shell. Just regular grit). They have free access to food and water. We also sometimes feed vegetable scraps. They've recently had cabbage leaves and beet tops/peels.

This morning, we noticed a pile of feathers by the fence. Our two bourbon reds are looking a little worse for the wear. I can’t find any specific wounds on either. They are eating, drinking, and walking ok. I couldn’t find any particularly tender spots when I tried to run my hands all over them. They are both a normal size, and there doesn’t seem to be any difference in how they feel. The female has missing feathers under her right wing, and it looks like there are some loose feathers hanging around her breast area when she walks. The male turkey has broken wing feather tips and is missing some tail feathers.

Sometimes when they stand around, their eyes are closed or sort of half open. See pictures below. The other turkeys weren't picking on them at all in the 20ish minutes I was observing and taking pictures.

Here are the feathers by the fence. I was standing inside of the fence when I took this:
I think we have a boy and girl, and it was just the girl involved in whatever attack. The males have been fighting a bit, as turkeys do.

I’ve attached some videos and pictures. We have no clue what’s wrong or what to do. We don’t have a good poultry vet, so it’s just down to what we can do ourselves. Thanks for your help and wisdom!

Turkey #1, I think a female:

Turkey #2, I think a male:
Tail feathers: Wing feathers:

I have a lot of times seen a pile of feathers similar to your top photo and been worried that something got a bird, only to find the bird in question (can usually tell from the color of the feathers) perfectly fine.

A lot of times I think it’s from molting or mating behavior, not necessarily from a predator.

Some of your photos show pin feathers coming in, so molting is certainly a possibility. Some birds do look run down when they molt.

For a mating incident, it’s usually the hens that come of worse for wear, so that doesn’t explain why it’s your tom that looks so poorly. Maybe he got beat up by another tom while both of them were trying to mate a hen.

Since the feathers are near the fence, an attack from outside is possible, but that could just happen to be where a tom or toms managed to get ahold of the hen.

Another thing about molting, if a predator did happen to grab ahold of one, it would get a mouthful of loose feathers, and maybe no skin at all. And it would dislodge a whole bunch that would trail after the bird as it ran away. So after all this rambling, I do think that could be the explanation.

Back
Top Bottom