Turkeys-Upper Respiratory Infection--Tylan 50--Help Please

gatrapper

Songster
8 Years
May 20, 2015
Georgia
Hey Y'all,

We had 7 bronze turkeys. About a month ago I butchered the smallest tom who always seemed to sneeze, be congested, stuffed up, and would gasp for air at times.

A few weeks later another started doing that and I butchered him.

Now I am down to 5 turkeys--4 toms and 1 hen. They have all started acting congested--they sound stuffy when they breathe out their nose--and have started to sneeze a lot at times--especially when they are out free ranging and running around.

I started doing research about what might be causing their ailment and it seemed to me that they had an upper respiratory infection.

From what I read Tylan 50 seemed to be the ticket to making the birds better. Some folks said to inject it and others said to have them take it orally.

I went by using 1ml/10 pounds. The turkeys are 20 pounds so I have been giving them two ml of Tylan 50 down the throat with a syringe.

Yesterday was their first treatment and all the birds took the medicine fine and had a good rest of the day. Today I gave the birds their second dose and about 30 minutes later one hen and one tom looked rough. They had a gurgling sound when breathing and it almost sounded like they needed to cough up some mucus from their lungs.

The tom did cough up some liquid, but the hen seemed to take it the hardest. She didn't want to move much and sounded nasty.

What can I do? Am I approaching this wrong? We love our turkeys and we do not want them to continue to feel bad or die.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom