Turkeys with Sand Dollar size hole (and bleeding) near their tail feathers

OLD ADOBE

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
I have 4 toms and 1 poult mixed with lots of chickens. It appears when my Turkeys are strutting their stuff, my chickens are picking out their tail feathers. A few of my turkeys now have huge bleeding holes and I don't know what to do.

Obviously infection is a concern and I don't want them to get sick or end up with some sort of disease. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to stop my chickens from cannibalizing my Toms?

I have 4 toms and 1 poult mixed with lots of chickens.  It appears when my Turkeys are strutting their stuff, my chickens are picking out their tail feathers.  A few of my turkeys now have huge bleeding holes and I don't know what to do.

Obviously infection is a concern and I don't want them to get sick or end up with some sort of disease.  Does anyone have any thoughts on how to stop my chickens from cannibalizing my Toms?

Separate them or coat their butts in vasiline. Keeps infection out and chickens don't like the gel consistency. So they will stop peaking. :)

I second the separating them. I would also try and find something to clean the wound with before applying the Vaseline even if it is just some form of sterile water. Therefore this will get all the dirt and grime of so that the Vaseline doesn't cake the dirt and grime into the wound.

I second the separating them. I would also try and find something to clean the wound with before applying the Vaseline even if it is just some form of sterile water. Therefore this will get all the dirt and grime of so that the Vaseline doesn't cake the dirt and grime into the wound. 

Yes clean prep the wound before vasaline like hunter said. Sorry I didn't say that in the pervious post. My bad.

Yep. One part Betadine, 9 parts water in a clean spray bottle. Thoroughly irrigate the wounds until clean. If wounds aren't too deep spray daily with either blu-kote or Durvet's Scarlet oil wound spray.
Definitely need to separate from chooks & keep a close eye out for flies - can use flea/tick spray like Adams (spray on cloth glove and then rub on tail feathers around (not on) wounds).

Once healed (if they have to go back with chooks), smear pine tar on fleshy area beneath rectrices (tail feathers). This is an old timer's disinfectant and obnoxious tasting substance (don't get on hands/clothes - it's `tar').

Last edited:
We tried irrigation and blu kote last night. They are bleeding again this morning. We Blu Koted them again today but the chickens are really attracted to the blood. It's awful! I have no place to separate the Turkeys from the chickens. I need to purchase a dog run or something for when stuff like this happens I can separate them but right now I have one 2 acre fenced in area for chickens and Turkeys.

Calling the butcher today, I think we will have to slaughter the two with the really big wounds today or tomorrow. :(

I will also try Vaseline this evening to see if that works. Should I use Vaseline then spray with Blu Kote or just leave the vaseline as is?

If you are keeping two toms for the duration, get a can of Pine Tar. Place a dollop of the pine tar in a medicine cup and heat in microwave for 5-7 seconds - this makes the tar soften up and is easier to work with. Get a tube of triple antibiotic ointment and squeeze an amount equal to the tar into the med cup and stir until the ointment is thoroughly incorporated into the pine tar. Daub this mix into and on margins of wounds.

Pine tar possesses antibiotic/antiseptic properties and smells/tastes terrible; when applied with the antibiotic ointment there is a better chance of the turks not developing infections & the flies won't be laying eggs in wounds. Vaseline is good as a stop gap, but has no antibiotic properties and any crud from chicken beaks will just accumulate in the vaseline.

When working with the pine tar, wear latex/plastic gloves - it stains whatever it touches. We've used the pine tar on our roo's comb in winter (hens quit pecking it) and on heads/caruncles of jakes/toms when sparring gets out of hand (they'll continue to wrap necks & kick one another - but they don't do nearly as much pecking/biting of one another's heads).

Back
Top Bottom