Turn eggs same time every day?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyb1969, Aug 11, 2008.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

How important is it to turn the incubating eggs at the same time every day? Can I be off an hour or so either way?

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I didn't/dont, I know birds dont either, they do it when they well....do it. LOL I make sure to roll my eggs daily atleast 3 times a day...sometimes more. I have no set schedual it's whenver I think about it. However, I do roll them at 10 am every morning.

I have pipping as I type this, so I did something right..lol

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Not important - mother hens can't tell time, and they manage to hatch more than we do! [​IMG]

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It's perfectly okay ..no set hour to turn just that you turn them...I like turning odd numbers of times a day like 3 or 5 ...it's just to exercise the embryo and to keep the embryo from sticking to one side of the egg....

5. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    no difference in the the hatch

6. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Thanks everyone! Now that I think about it...hens don't tell time! [​IMG] This is my first time hatching, so maybe I should start thinking like a hen, huh? [​IMG] Is it possible to turn them too much? And here's something to think about...how does a hen regulate humidity? [​IMG]

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    how does a hen regulate humidity....[​IMG]

well someone may have a more scientific more technical answer....

however heres mine...

make a fist, and hold it that way for a few mins...notice moisture? WALA humidity! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    no problem on turning at different times of the day even a few hours off as long as it gets done ur fine. goooood luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by